June 15, 2024 | Latest Issue

Run It Back -- Sophomore Summer Round Two

Sophomore summer isn't just for sophomores anymore. The traditionally sophomore-saturated term is still heavy on the oh-nines, but now includes a healthy dose of about 100 upperclassmen, about 9 months removed from their first sophomore summer. From taking classes, to working near campus, to participating in locally-held programs, many older students are taking what they learned last summer and using it to maximize this summer's potential.

Bridget Alex '08 is one upperclassmen who was overcome with memories upon arriving at Dartmouth for the start of this Summer term. She fondly remembers Masters, the campus wide pong tournament, from last summer and looks forward to it again this year. "[It was] my favorite event of the summer. It turns out when you have a definite team to root for, rather than just waiting for your turn to play, pong is the most exciting spectator sport in the history of athletics," she said.

Alex did not take classes during her own sophomore summer, but is going to this year. "I stayed here and worked last summer," Alex said. "There weren't courses I wanted to take in the summer and as a distance runner [on the track team], I needed to be on fall, winter, and spring terms."

Lydia Islan '08 is another Dartmouth upperclassmen that was prompted to stay this summer because of fond memories, including a day at the ledges. "[We] went to the ledges and just spent the afternoon there. We got caught in a huge thunderstorm, and decided that, because of the lightning, we should leave. The storm ended on our way back to campus, so we stopped for ice cream," she said.

The beauty of the campus and the surrounding area seems unanimously to be a highly anticipated aspect of the term for these non-sophomores. "I want to take advantage of the things around school, like sailing and going hiking," said Ren Chen '08, who is on campus taking classes this summer.

Other students like Bailey Massey '08 take their second sophomore summer out of necessity, as joyful a necessity that may be. "I work at the Hopkins Center. I'm head of the film society," Massey said. "Because of the job, I'm required to be here this summer and the summer after graduation."

Last year Massey's favorite memories took place at her off-campus house. "I loved living in Foley House over the summer, where I met people with whom I would spend nights eating Cabot cheese, facebook-ing, and skinny dipping in the river," she said.

Besides reminiscing over Dartmouth summers past, many of these '08s are ambitious to make this summer term as fulfilling, in academic, social, and professional capacities, as possible.

Student Body President Travis Green '08, who is working for the Neukom Institute, as well as on his thesis this summer, hopes that he'll be able to take time to do the things for which he usually does not have time. In hindsight he realizes he "didn't hang out enough [last summer]. It's usually underappreciated -- sitting there with a bunch of friends, just hanging. This is what [the summer] is about."

Chen, too, is striving for a balance between having an enjoyable summer and spending time on his studies. He said that because fewer of his classmates are on campus it will be easier to maintain that balance."I think this summer will be less hanging out and a lot more work -- I knew many more people last summer," he said. Massey also remarked on the feeling of being an upperclassmen among sophomores. "It's weird to be on campus with a different class. It's kind of lonely," Massey said.

Other sophomores, meanwhile, have more concrete resolutions. Alex wishes to spend more time with friends, and hopes that this summer she'll hold more dinner parties. Her goals include "being more social and going out to new places...Also, having a reason to be in the library other than it's air-conditioned."

Islan for her part is focused on extending her athletic capabilities. "One of my friends is teaching me to swim better. I'm also taking the tennis PE and the climbing PE," she said.

Brook Smith '08, who has a few part-time jobs this summer and may audit an engineering class, is particularly interested in exploring the idyllic Vermont and New Hampshire countryside. "I'm looking forward to a lot of the events in the area, like the North Thetford Strawberry Social and county fairs," he said.

Ultimately, these sophomore summer veterans are filled with advice for the sophomores on campus this term. Islan stressed the importance of taking advantage of the outdoor activities that are rife in the New England summer. "Explore the area around Hanover. Go to the Ledges or Gile [Mountain]. Even go to Velvet Rocks, which you can walk to," she said.

Green emphasized the importance of time management. "Don't put off your classes. It can be six weeks of sophomore summer and four weeks of work, or it can be ten weeks of sophomore summer. Don't dig yourself a hole: It takes a long time to get out."

Alex put summer into the context of the overall college experience and pointed out that sophomore summer marks the midpoint of most students' college careers. "This is your last time to be relaxed and right in the thick of college," she said.