Real discrepancies exist in alcohol violation policies

Despite Acting Dean of the College Dan Nelson's assertion to the contrary ("Dartmouth's Enforcement of Alcohol Laws," April 3), it is obvious that Yale administrators take a far different approach to the enforcement of alcohol violations than their counterparts at Dartmouth.

The statistics in Joseph Asch '79's op-ed ("Thirsty for a Reasonable Alcohol Policy," Feb. 16) with regard to punishments meted out by college authorities for alcohol violations at Yale and Dartmouth are indisputable. From 2003 to 2005, Dartmouth punished 754 students for alcohol violations. The number at Yale during the same time period was 131.

Dartmouth students clearly have a significantly higher chance of being punished for alcohol violations than students at Yale. I have a difficult time believing that the reasons for this are (a) Dartmouth students drink more in terms of quantity; (b) Dartmouth students drink more often; or (c) Dartmouth students are exceptionally unruly after drinking.

The real reason for this discrepancy must then hinge almost entirely on each school's policies and practices with regard to campus drinking.

Since this point cannot be disputed by anyone who takes five minutes to look at the data, then Nelson's op-ed is misinformed, at best. At worst, it is part of a disinformation campaign by the College that I hope resonates very poorly with the College's alumni. Though I'm a huge fan of the first amendment, I'm sorry that it gives College administrators a chance to publish articles that attempt to dispute categorical facts.