Dartmouth and TV: Obsession and Apathy

Ever wonder where those people running out of the library at 9:59 p.m. on Sunday nights are going? Or maybe you've noticed the mysterious lack of people left in Food Court around 9:00 p.m. every Thursday night? Well, don't worry, they're not studying without you ... they're probably just finding a good spot on the futon to watch their favorite shows.

From "The OC" to ESPN, "Family Guy" to "America's Next Top Model," and "Grey's Anatomy" to "Date my Mom," we appear to have very diverse interests here at Dartmouth. But what makes certain people watch these shows and why?

Pooja Viswanath '07 summed up some students' attitude, "I'm pretty much absolutely addicted to TV ... it's basically my favorite thing to do ever," she said.

Others, like Michael Heslin '08, hold a less enthusiastic opinion.

"You can watch TV for the rest of your life, whereas these are the only four years we have to forget about TV and go hang out," he said.

"I generally prefer to stay away from what I like to call bad TV -- the crap girls like to watch, like 'The OC,' 'One Tree Hill' and 'Laguna Beach,'" Heslin added. "From what I can tell, there aren't really any substantial differences between any two of these shows, and I would much rather hang out than waste my time watching them."

Wow, Mr. Heslin sure likes to hang out. He must be a Phi Delt.

However, the majority of campus obviously does not share this view of pop television. "Grey's Anatomy," "The OC," "Laguna Beach," "Family Guy," "The Daily Show" and "Friends" all have their own strong followings on campus.

"I definitely think the most popular show with girls right now is "Grey's Anatomy." I feel like many people started watching it because of the Dartmouth connection, but the storyline has gotten everyone I know completely hooked on the show," says Viswanath. "The show manages to draw you in with interesting medical cases each week, while also dropping just a little bit of the long term storyline so that you keep watching because nothing gets revealed too quickly."

In case you were not aware, the series was written and produced by Shonda Rhimes '91, who created the (well-named) Dartmouth sweatshirt-wearing alumna, Meredith.

Viswanath added, "'The OC' probably used to be the most popular show but has severely gone downhill this season and isn't as captivating as it used to be. I'll never forget last year when 'The OC' was on one Thursday night and Fox cut out for a brief second. You could hear the shrieks of girls across campus ... I don't think 'The OC' has people addicted like that anymore."

While many share Viswnath's opinion and feel that "The OC" has gotten increasingly ridiculous and uninteresting in recent seasons, it still holds numerous devout fans ... many of which surprisingly are Dartmouth males.

Wes Clark '08, for one, is optimistic about "The OC's" future.

"I still watch it with hope that it will return to its glory days," Clark said, adding, "I also think that the Baker bells needs to play "The OC" theme song at 8:45 p.m. on Thursdays ... maybe I will blitz Quasimodo about it."

You do that Wes.

While I was initially shocked (and slightly disturbed) that so many Dartmouth boys enjoy "The OC" as much as I do, I can now rest easy because many of boys (and girls alike) enjoy shows like "Family Guy" and "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" because they reflect the dry humor so abundant on campus. How much more cynical could you get than a smoking baby who ridicules life? JB Cholnoky '08 describes the show as "just the right kind of humor for men age 18-30."

In reference to the Daily Show Cholnoky describes it as "an excellent parody of the modern media. Jon Stewart is very intelligent, but he keeps it light."

It is this mix of incredible intelligence tapered with his dry sense of humor that it seems most Dartmouth males (and even many females) strive for. The final goal is to avoid coming off as pompous and instead a comically pompous asshole -- an infinitely better option! However, Stewart's latest attempt, the 2006 Oscars, was met with harsh criticism ... if this is the reception of Dartmouth humor released into the real world, may God have mercy on our souls (and our senses of humor).

Another sensation that has swept through female dorm rooms is "America's Next Top Model." While I'm rather disappointed and frankly feel a little betrayed by the current season of "ANTM," I will not give up on it. Regardless of Tyra's ceremonial, monotonous speech at the end of each episode of fact that she has "5 envelopes in her hand, but only 4 girls may go on to having a chance at becoming 'America's Next Top Model'" as if we'd forgotten. I still just cannot stay away. However, the lack of the usual 20 year-old former gang-member mother-of-three or lesbian pro-wrestlers with contagious mystery skin diseases has really put a damper on this season ... and the number of catfights.

Additionally, I feel like the popularity of "ANTM" rests solely on the inherent need inside girls to be catty. I consider myself and my friends to be nice people. However, every Wednesday night from 8 to 9 p.m. we are like hyenas jumping on a fresh piece of meat, devouring it (only after critiquing it), and spitting it back out to be judged by Tyra. "Die b*tch!", and "What the *&!%? Gap-tooth is still in?!" are some of the tamer screams you'll overhear coming out of the room. Yet by 9:00 p.m. we are ready to take on the Dartmouth world as calm, friendly, kindhearted young ladies ... God Bless "America's Next Top Model."

As Andrea Palmer '08, devoted fan said, "There's something about being with my ten best girlfriends to witness the struggles of these inspiring women that keeps me coming back. I mean, when Tyra lowers her voice to reveal the final photo of the evening, I'm reminded how seriously life needs to be taken -- 8:57 on Wednesday nights is a really special time for me ... I really cherish it." I think somebody deserves a little Tyra mail...

I am also a big fan of the midmorning reruns that play during all of my class times this term. Last year I managed a 2, 10a, 2a schedule with a solid lineup of "Saved by the Bell," "Boy Meets World," "The Nanny" and topped off by a nice 2 hours of "Dawson's Creek." I never felt as close to Dawson Leery or Joey Potter as I did from 10 to 12 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Leave it to Joey (whose father was in jail for dealing drugs, mother died from cancer and sister was the small-town taboo with her out-of-wedlock, interracial pregnancy -- ironically the most successful relationship on the show) to make you realize that the fact that your boyfriend cheated on you last weekend really isn't the end of the world.Maybe shows like "Dawson's Creek" and "The OC" aren't high quality portrayals of everyday life. But isn't that what we want? If all we were watching was some show like "The Ivy Years" with preppy college students going to classes, getting straight As, and having successful relationships, we wouldn't be able to carry on with our own idealized, self-centered version of "college" that we know and love.

Sure, maybe Kiki's alcoholism coupled with her niece-in-law Marissa's previous alcoholism (while dating Kiki's adopted, delinquent-turned-Berkeley-bound-son) seemed a little far-fetched at the time, but didn't it make you feel better about that spill you took on the frat stairs last weekend? And if in the end, we can watch "Grey's Anatomy" and know that Dartmouth alums do graduate and become successful, isn't it all worthwhile?