Happily Ever After

So I've been having this conversation with a lot of people recently. I'm not even sure why -- maybe we're just getting old? Or maybe this hot weather is making us collectively lose our minds? Whatever the reason might be, the truth is that a lot of my friends and I have been talking about love and dating. At Dartmouth. And the more you think about it, the more you realize that the situation is pretty grim. But I've always been a fan of silver linings, and I honestly believe there is hope for us still.

It was supposed to be so easy. When you're growing up, you always picture yourself meeting that perfect someone exactly when you're ready for a relationship. If you're a girl who has seen way too many Disney movies, then you picture your dream guy sweeping you off your feet and taking you away to live happily every after. Sometimes there's even a white horse in the picture. No one ever told you that finding the right person at the right time and the right place is like some kind of impossible miracle. I'm beginning to think that the Yankees have a greater chance of getting a standing ovation at Fenway Park.

And if it wasn't hard enough in the real world, you bring Dartmouth into the mix, and then, you're dealing with a whole new set of issues. First of all, there is the D-plan. Ah yes, the D-plan. In theory, it sounds like such a great plan. And it is in a way. You get to do a lot of cool things that you wouldn't be able to otherwise. It sounds almost perfect until you realize that this means you won't be on at the same time as your friends. Seriously, I have some friends I won't see for an entire year after this summer. We're living in a world of impermanence -- sometimes it feels as though the only thing constant in our lives is the knowledge that none of it will last long enough. And all of this makes dating slightly difficult. You meet a great guy or a wonderful girl and things click, but then you realize that you're not on at the same time for the next six months. So then what's the point, right?

Now let's assume for a moment that the D-plan is not an issue. One would think that things would be a little easier. But one would be wrong. It doesn't really get any less complicated. We're all playing silly little games with each other. No one wants to be straightforward. I tend to be really honest and try to talk about whatever it is that I'm dealing with -- but then again, I do like to talk a lot. Most people choose to let things sort themselves out without really talking about it or taking charge of it. And then you find yourself in the impossible position of reading the other person's mind. I mean, I know we're all very bright, but I doubt that telepathy is one of our talents. This inevitably results in miscommunication and a lot of unnecessary heartache. If only people talked more.

I guess you can blame the general atmosphere at Dartmouth as well. Both girls and guys seem to be more interested in hooking up than dating. I would say guys more so than girls, but I'm sure many of you will disagree with me on that point. After all, we are young, and there are so many good looking people on campus -- should we really be tied down to one person at this age? Shouldn't this be the time to explore and experiment, to sow all our wild oats? I don't know, I guess I agreed with this at one point, but a lot has happened in my own life since then, and I can't honestly see things from the same perspective anymore. Hooking up is great, but in the end, isn't everyone looking for someone? Maybe it's nave for me to assume this, but eventually don't we all have to grow up?

And if all of this works out, don't think you're in the clear just yet. People tend to graduate and move away. It's true -- I checked with the College. Time is running as we speak, so I sa y, carpe diem. Be bold, take that first step, ask someone out. Yes, girls, that includes you too. I know it's not easy, but consider there can be no high highs without low lows -- it's a matter of how much risk you're willing to take. I like to think that love is worth this risk and who knows, happily ever after might be waiting for you on the Green.