Losing Faith

An open letter to President Wright:

The only reason that I did not go to Harvard is I felt Dartmouth had something better to offer. An adherence to higher principles, perhaps. I suppose I should have just taken the more prestigious degree, for no matter how hard you try we will never be thought of the same way. If you want honor and name recognition, allow Dartmouth to be the college it once was. This institution is supposed to be different than the rest of the Ivy League. It is supposed to have a unique concern for its students, its employees and its faculty. You have shown none of this to me the past two days.

Despite the allegiance I have towards this place, your actions are astonishing and strike directly against the greatness of this institution. You have shown a willingness, if not an eagerness, to eliminate without warning the passions of a deserving team and the jobs -- should I mention livelihood? -- of your employees. Ought I be complacent now, in the face of this despotism, when you happily exercise the authority to strip us of the things we love? What's next? You take away our teams, our fraternities and our sense of pride in this school.

And you leave us no legitimate political voice. Our assembly is crippled by an obsession with procedure to compensate for its lack of jurisdiction. You allow it to execute, somewhat, your politically correct social agenda and covet items like the budget, regulations, course offerings and new hirings for your own domain. What can we do but stand in the cold in front of your abandoned house?

Your students today are future alumni. Your endowment tomorrow will very much be at their mercy. If it is only that damn number for which you have done these things, let me assure you that you are not doing it the right way. Let us have our pride, and we will give you your money.