Recovering Our Athletic Identity

Every now and then, with the busy schedule I must adhere to, I have the chance to actually read some other articles and publications. I became somewhat inspired by these other columns, and it wasn't simply out of awe for the literary brilliance of the columnists. The following articles in particular resonated greatly with me. First, there was a column in a conservative publication that spoke about the need to find a new athletic director more dedicated to restoring a winning tradition at Dartmouth. Another piece was a hopeful plea to expand the athletic facilities to meet student needs and keep up with developing trends at smaller, less sports-oriented schools. The final column was an insight into the sporting world of Mike Martinez in The Dartmouth Mirror of Feb. 15. These columns spoke to me like no other columns I have read in a long time. Yet before I continue, let me tell a story that will hopefully give the reader some background and insight into how I feel about sports at this school.

I am what one would call a novice squash player. I once picked up a racquet from one of the gymnasium's trashcans and examined it for any breaks or snapped strings. When I found only a slight tear in the body's frame, I concealed it with some athletic tape and claimed it as mine. One day I brought my makeshift racquet and a ball down to the gym to hit around a bit. But I had the urge to not only challenge some innocent passerby to a game, but also to pick competition I was certain to win against. As is often the case, the squash court was littered with elderly fans and young hopefuls. After a tedious 30-minute wait, I finally spotted my perfect victim. I watched the elderly man gently hit the ball around in his court and I imagined how I would make him run all over the court until he was unwilling to run any more and conceded defeat. I gently tapped on the glass door to gather his attention and challenge him to a match. I approached him as if I were a true novice, eager to just get some game experience. When he accepted my proposition, the real fun began.

Down two games to nothing and eight to one in the third set (games go to nine), pains began to present themselves in areas that I didn't know even had muscles. This man had turned out to be an old Dartmouth squash coach just happening to swing by the courts for a quick match. I had been right -- this man was unwilling to run, partly because he never had to.

This physically and emotionally excruciating experience reminded me of how badly needed extra facilities are (the wait was almost as painful as the match) and how athletic and outdoorsy this campus truly is. Playing pickup squash games with 50- to 60-year-old college coaches is a bit ridiculous. The thing that bothers me is that it seems Dartmouth has begun to shy away from its athletic image. Sports continue to be popular on campus, but as losses pile up, the fan base has inevitably shrunk. There are many people speaking out against the importance of sports. They point to such touchy and controversial issues as the need for diversity, a more cultured society and acceptance due to athletic ability. These points are valid and only touch the surface of the intrinsic problems with competition and athletics. But sports contain other attributes that are more positive and extremely useful at any college. A sport can bring people together, becoming a social event. Sports keep people active, help form friendships and give people like me an alternative to watching a DTV movie for the third straight time.

My grandfather graduated Dartmouth in 1936. Every time I see him come up to watch the football team play in blistering cold weather, it makes me wonder why sometimes the alumni outnumber the students at football games. Dartmouth athletic events have come to resemble people like my grandfather. He is forever bleeding Dartmouth green and will never pass up a chance to see his alma mater compete in any event. His attitude is hardly shameful -- he cares about the school he attended, and finds great joy in victory.

The de-emphasis of sports at Dartmouth would be understandable if this campus had an abundance of facilities allowing us to explore other options. Yet Hanover is no metropolis. There are no late-night coffee shops or underground theater productions, let alone a functioning and popular club or bar (all of which students would probably like to see). As of now, sports and the outdoors exemplify the nature of many Dartmouth students.

So in essence, I agree with the columns I read. We need to expand athletic facilities and restore a winning tradition. Let's not shy away from being athletic. Instead, let's build upon it by reasserting our Ivy League dominance and expanding not only athletic facilities but also options. Intramural sports can help emphasize the importance of a team and community. A larger workout area will allow people who are unwilling to spend time waiting for machines a chance to get exercise in a heavily-used place. And perhaps the next time I want to play a pickup game of squash I won't have to suffer such humiliation.