Investigators to release more information tomorrow

Since Half and Susanne Zantop were murdered almost two weeks ago, investigators have claimed optimism, but released few details of their actual progress. Now, with the FBI, the N.H. State Police and the Hanover Police on the job, the optimism continues, and according to Senior Assistant Attorney General Kelly Ayotte, the team will begin releasing more information starting tomorrow.

She said members of the national center for analysis of violent crimes are present in Hanover and have been to the Zantops' residence.

These investigators, members of what is known commonly as the "profiling unit," have expertise in crime scene analysis and psychological expertise, Ayotte said.

She explained that their investigative work "may shed light on information about the perpetrator."

Investigators have also started using a computerized lead management system, which will catalog the great bulk of information and leads that are involved in this case. The same system has been used before by the state while investigating big cases.

Tomorrow, Ayotte said, her office will release information on the "initial observations" of the new units in town working on the case.

She said at this point, investigators still do not know what the motive for the homicide was, but said investigators were still leaning towards calling the Zantop homicide a targeted action. However, she would not comment on whether it was a premeditated crime or a crime of passion.

She also had no comment on whether there was any note left at the crime scene.

As before, Ayotte said that no arrests are imminent. But she said, "we remain tremendously confident" that the killer will be brought to justice.

She said the task force working to solve the murder has received, and is continuing to receive, a great deal of leads and tips, and is pursuing them with full force.

She insisted that pleas for information, such as the email sent out by Dartmouth's Counsel Robert Donin to the College community, are not out of line but are a normal part of any investigation.

Oftentimes people do not realize they have information that would help, Ayotte said, explaining that investigators, who have a broader scope, realize the significance of certain seemingly innocuous facts.

Ayotte said at this point, the New Hampshire investigative team members are in state -- but she said returning to Arizona or other states was certainly not out of the question if such action was warrented.

She said at this point investigators have not searched the Zantops other residences including an apartment in Berlin. But she said the offices of the Zantops have been thoroughly inspected and will be released soon so that the College can put the space to use.

"There's never a deadline in terms of solving a crime," Ayotte said, when asked if she thought the investigators were behind schedule or running out of time.

A press briefing will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2 p.m. At that time, Ayotte said questions regarding the information released earlier in the day in text form will be entertained.