Early admit rate lower for 2005s

Despite a rise in the number of applicants for early decision compared to last year's pool, the College sent out significantly fewer acceptance letters this year.

In total, 377 students were given an early place in the class of 2005, or about 33 percent of the early applicant pool, according to statistics recently released by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. Last year the total number of students admitted early was 430, which was roughly 39 percent of those who applied.

Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Karl Furstenberg said fewer students were admitted in order to save more spots for admission in regular decision.

"There is such a large and well qualified pool of applicants" for regular decision, Furstenberg explained. Contrary to the trend among many colleges to take more and more students through early programs, he added that the most selective schools, like Dartmouth, are trying to decrease the pressure to apply early.

"And admitting fewer students early should help to move in that direction," Furstenberg said.

Under the early decision plan, 1,135 students applied to the College this year, compared to 1,091 early decision applications for the Class of 2004 and 1,162 applicants for the Class of 2003. Furstenberg attributed the increase in applications from last year to increased campus visitation programs and more widespread visitations by admissions officers to high schools around the country.

"Inevitably all of this recruiting activity generates stronger interest in Dartmouth," he said. "So far, it's been a very good year."

The numbers show a particularly good year for minority students accepted early to the College. This year, 61 minority students were given early spots in the incoming class, which is up from the 47 accepted under the early decision plan last year.

"We have worked very hard this past fall to invite more minority students to campus to see Dartmouth firsthand," Furstenberg said. "I think this was a definite factor in increasing the student of color representation in early decision."

Two years ago, only three African-Americans were admitted early decision, causing many questions and much concern. Last year the number of African-Americans climbed to six and this year 10 were admitted under the early admission plan.

Geographically, this early batch of '05s looks much like last year's, with the majority coming from New England and the Mid-Atlantic states. 15 foreign students were accepted early, compared to 20 last year.

Approximately 90 percent of the admitted students were in the top 10 percent of their graduating high school classes. The mean SAT verbal score was 704, and the mean math score was 707.

The final numbers for the regular decision applicant pool are not yet available.