Middle East draws blank looks

Campus reactions to the escalation of violence in the Middle East recently have been mixed, although many students admitted they remain completely unaware of the fighting that has erupted in the region over the past few weeks.

In fact, most students interviewed by the Dartmouth said that they were ignorant of the situation.

Jenny Stewart '03 said, "I didn't realize what was going on until I read my Time magazine."

Some students pointed out that Dartmouth's fast-paced lifestyle left little time to keep up on current affairs.

Others had been following the situation with keen interest, and expressed a desire for American facilitated peace in the Middle East.

Lindsay Hirschfeld '03 said, "Something needs to be resolved soon, or else the situation will result in the winner being whomever still has members alive."

"We are all very concerned about the current state of affairs in the Middle East," President of the Dartmouth Hillel Jason Spitalnick '02 said, calling the situation "frustrating and disheartening."

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of the Middle East and all of those who are suffering because of the current situation" he added in a BlitzMail message.

The representative from the Muslim student association, Al-Nur, was unavailable for comment yesterday.