Presidential candidates to speak at College

Continuing New Hampshire's political traditions, the top Republican and Democratic presidential candidates are expected to descend upon the Hanover plain to participate in a town-meeting style forum in Moore Theater in late October.

This convocation of political luminaries will consist of Democrats speaking in a forum on Wednesday, Oct. 27, and Republicans speaking the following evening. The event will serve as a lead-in to the New Hampshire primaries in February.

According to forum organizers, both Democratic candidates, Vice President Al Gore and former New Jersey senator Bill Bradley have confirmed their attendance at the event. Republican challengers, Arizona Senator John McCain, former Red Cross President Elizabeth Dole, magazine magnate Steve Forbes, conservative radio host Alan Keyes, conservative commentators Pat Buchanan and Gary Bauer have all agreed to attend.

Republican front-runner Texas Governor George Bush have not yet confirmed his participation in the event, but organizers said they are hopeful that he will be attending the event.

New Hampshire residents will compose the majority of the audience and submit questions to the candidates, while selected students and faculty will fill-in the balcony and risers behind the candidates.

"We feel privileged to participate in this. It's a wonderful opportunity for Dartmouth to foster debate between candidates and voters in an open-ended forum," said Director of the Rockefeller Center Linda Fowler, who helped organize the event.

While 1988 featured the most recent full-fledged debate among candidates at Dartmouth, individuals have also addressed audiences in both 1992 and 1996, Fowler said.

"A traditional debate format is not very enlightening because [it consists] of prepared texts and planned speeches. [This format] will help citizens see candidates in a little less stilted light," Fowler said.

The aim of the program is for the candidates to discuss topics that pertain to New Hampshire voters -- consequently, those asking the questions must be from New Hampshire. The College, however, has insured that its students and faculty will be included, Fowler said.

Residents and interest groups from across the state will be represented in the audience to gain a broad spectrum of opinions.

"We are in touch with as many groups in the area as we can identify. We have 150 groups from firefighters to Chamber of Commerce members, and we asked them to provide a list of names and then selection will be from a lottery," Fowler said.

A select few from the College community will be granted access to the balcony to view the proceedings, but will be prohibited from asking questions. Additional randomly-drawn students and faculty will located on risers on the stage behind the candidates.

Moore Theater seats 396 people, with an additional 136 chairs in the balcony and 110 places on risers. But since the event will last two days, there will be twice the number of opportunities.

According to Fowler, in order to impartially allocate a scarce number of seats, a mailing with a coupon will be sent to every member of the Dartmouth community. Those who fill out the coupon are eligible to be chosen from a lottery process. Alternates will also be selected, and a possibility exists of admitting a small number at the door providing space is available.

Cameras will be stationed on the balcony and on the main floor. CNN, WMUR and the College Cable Station will be broadcasting the venue. Additional off-site viewing is planned for students in Rockefeller and Dartmouth Halls.

According to Fowler, WMUR approached the College wanting to plan a political event at the College. The College then figured out how to realize that goal "without disrupting academic programs," Fowler.

Dartmouth arranged for the candidates' visit as a result of collaborative effort from the Director of Public Affairs Office Laurel Stavis, Fowler and local television network WMUR.