Dean search may conclude next week

The announcement of Dart-mouth's new dean of the College could come as soon as next week, according to Search Committee Chair and Dean of the Faculty Ed Berger.

Though the final decision will be made by College President James Wright, Berger said yesterday he believes "the announcement will be made early next week."

President Wright and the Board of Trustees are currently reviewing a short list of candidates submitted by the search committee earlier this term, according to Berger.

The search committee -- which consists of nine administrators, faculty members and student representatives -- discussed between 60 and 100 applications since its formation last winter and conducted a series of off-campus interviews with a number of candidates, according to Berger.

Several candidates on the short list have met with Palaeopitus, a group of senior leaders who advise the dean of the College and the president, Berger said.

Watt Boone '00 and Cara Mathews '99 serve as student representatives on the search committee, but Boone is currently in London on the History Foreign Study Program.

"[Boone] wasn't available for conference calls ... so we've depended on Cara and her connections with Palaeopitus [for student representation]," Berger said.

Currently, former Senior Associate Dean of the College Dan Nelson is serving as the acting dean of the College. Former Dean of the College Lee Pelton resigned in June to become the president of Willamette University in Salem, Ore.

Other administrators serving on the Search Committee include Director of Alumni Relations Nelson Armstrong, College Counsel and Director of External Relations Cary Clark and Assistant Provost Sheila Culbert.

Religion Professor Susan Ackerman, History Professor Richard Kremer and Anthropology Professor Deborah Nichols comprise the committee's faculty representation.