S and S officers assaulted at bonfire

Spectators at an unruly bonfire celebration assaulted Safety and Security officers and fled into the crowd Friday night, in an incident-filled Homecoming weekend that also saw the newly elected Freshman class president arrested for rushing the football field Saturday afternoon.

In addition, Thursday was marked by a minor accident at the bonfire site and a somber but well-attended candlelight vigil to remember Wyoming college student Matthew Shepard.

Sweep and fire

College Proctor Robert McEwen said it was difficult to keep control of the crowd on Friday night.

One Safety and Security officer was assaulted by a male student who punched the officer in the ribcage and then hurled his portable radio into the crowd. Another officer was punched while breaking up a fight.

Other Safety and Security officers sustained minor injuries; a female officer was struck in the back and chin and yet another officer was knocked face first to the ground. No arrests were made in any of the incidents because the perpetrators scattered back into the crowd.

Some of behavior at the bonfire was "uncalled for," McEwen said. "It has happened in the past," he said, but it was "not as blatant as it was Friday night."

In addition to the assaults, student safety concerns were a problem.

"We had large numbers of students actually coming up to try to climb the structure while people were trying to torch it," McEwen said.

According to McEwen, a couple of students were trampled and sustained minor injuries at the bonfire, but no hospitalizations resulted from the raucous.

Hanover Police Chief Nick Giaccone said that no Hanover Police officers were injured during the festivities.

"This was a fairly normal homecoming for us," he said.

Hanover police witnessed people walking on cars during the Freshman Sweep, although no one reported damages.

McEwen said that last year's Freshman Sweep was more orderly.

Hanover Police also arrested four Dartmouth students on Friday night and seven Hanover High School students. Six of them were found in a car with alcohol while the other climbed onto the bonfire.

John Lutz '01 was arrested Friday night for indecent exposure on the Green.

The rush process

Safety and Security filed 39 reports for the weekend, including 10 alcohol infractions, such as open containers, and nine inebriates. Last year, Safety and Security officers filed 45 reports.

At this year's football game Saturday, three males -- including Freshman Class President Josh Warren '02 -- rushed the field.

Two, including Warren, were apprehended by police when they trespassed onto the field at half-time. The third, who entered the playing field while the game was in progress, escaped.

"I did it for the tradition," Warren said. "There were more destructive things I could have done, but this was done in good fun and to entertain the crowd."

Field-rusher Ricky Joshi '01 said his decision to rush the field was made on the spur of the moment.

"I wasn't really thinking," Joshi said. "I ran cross-country in high school, and I didn't see how a bunch of lazy cops would catch me. But they are quite good, let me tell you."

Although the police did not chase the field rushers -- pursuit of field rushers last year led to a car accident -- Warren ended up running into the arms of an officer.

"It was happening so fast," he said. "I just didn't see the officer."

Warren said he was surprised to receive a New Hampshire State court date from the police. The court will determine the fine and if any disciplinary action is necessary.

Thursday

Students held a candlelight vigil on Thursday night to remember Matthew Shepard, a gay college student who was beaten and left for dead in Laramie, Wyoming last week.

During the vigil, one of the largest in the past three years, more than 200 people marched from Dartmouth Hall to the Roth Center with candles. Featured speakers included President James Wright, deans and professors. Observers could also express themselves at an open microphone.

"A lot was shared, and people really connected to each other," event organizer Peter Jacobsen '00 said. "It was definitely a success; we filled up frat row and opened the pathways of communication."

While building the bonfire on Thursday, a woman from the Class of 2002 slipped from the structure and was taken to the hospital at the discretion of the authorities. She fell about 20 feet and landed forcefully on her feet. Despite deep bruises on her feet and ankles, she was not badly injured.

The bonfire was not as tall as in previous years due to a wood-supplier error. Communication problems prevented confirmation of the order, but other wood was substituted at the last minute to make up for some of the difference.

Stephen Erickson , assistant director of physical education and bonfire supervisor, said rain saturated the wood and prevented it from igniting as quickly as it usually does.

"But it burned down, and that's what matters," he said.