Freshman's arraignment gets postponed

Freshman James McMahon's attorney, George Ostler, filed a motion for continuance on May 7 and officially entered a not guilty plea for his client, who is charged with possessing child pornography.

Hanover Police arrested McMahon last month for one count of Possession of Child Pornography, a Class A misdemeanor. His arraignment originally had been scheduled for May 12 at the Lebanon District Court.

McMahon's arraignment is now set for July 1 at 10:30 a.m., and then the court will move directly into trial if a plea agreement has not been reached.

Hanover Police Detective-Sergeant Frank Moran said he does not think a trial will occur in this case. He predicts the court and Ostler will reach a plea agreement.

According to Police Captain Christopher O'Connor, the police plan to speak with Ostler in the near future.

O'Connor said McMahon would be tried only under New Hampshire state law and not under federal law.

"If we enter into a plea arrangement, and it's satisfactory to all parties, there will probably be a condition that there is not any federal charges," he said.

Ostler said he expects some type of agreement to be reached, although he did not know what such an agreement would entail.

Ostler said a plea agreement probably would end with McMahon fined, but not imprisoned.

"We certainly expect to have some discussions with the Hanover Police," he said.

If convicted, McMahon could face a fine of up to $2,000, registration in a sexual offenders' database and up to one year in prison.

McMahon was arrested and released on bail on April 3 after turning himself into the Hanover Police. The arrest resulted from a seizure by search warrant of McMahon's computer in February.