Tick Talk: Fundamental Issue is You Should Not Drink and Drive

While I wholeheartedly applaud the Student Assembly's efforts to discuss the issues and to educate the student body regarding alcohol use on campus, I am afraid a fundamental point got lost in the facts. I'd like to refer to the recent edition of the TICK TALK. In the publication, Prof. Finn clarifies for the reader that "There is no 'drunk driving' or 'driving while intoxicated' (DWI) law in NH. The law is DUI, Driving under the Influence of Drugs or Liquor. This statue, which takes a Blood Alcohol Level of 0.08 as constituting driving under the influence, does not even mention intoxication."

Well, is that what really matters about drunk driving? Whether you might be held responsible under one law rather than the other?

I would hope that Dartmouth students can see beyond this legalistic rambling and get to the fundamental issue -- you do NOT drink and drive. And not because it might land you in jail -- but because you might crash your car, hurt or even kill yourself, or hurt or kill others. I am shocked that someone would even consider the legal issues before thinking of all the pain of those families and friends of people whose lives have been tragically damaged by drunk driving.

So, even if your blood alcohol is a 0.075, and you can fool that Hanover Po' cop, I implore you -- don't drink and drive.