Moore construction on schedule

Construction of the new $26 million Moore psychology building continues on scale and on budget, and the facility is expected to open in June 1999, according to Assistant Director of Facilities Planning Reed Bergwall.

The building's foundation has been laid, and workers are currently constructing its steel superstructure

The Maynard Street structure will house the psychology department, which is being evicted from Bradley and Gerry Halls. Bradley and Gerry are scheduled to be torn down to make way for the College's massive Berry Library project.

The building will include a 225-seat underground auditorium, which will replace Gerry Hall's Filene Auditorium.

Filene is currently used for such large lecture classes as Psychology 1, Mathematics 3 or Computer Science 5. The building will also include an 80-seat classroom and smaller classroom areas.

The Board of Trustees voted last year to name the new building for Lansing Moore '37, who attended the College for only one semester in 1933.

The estate of Moore's widow, Florence Moore of Centerport, N.Y., pledged $18.1 million last year -- the largest bequest in College history and the second largest gift ever -- for unrestricted use in undergraduate education.