A Guide to Dining in Hanover

With fall foliage at its close, spirited Homecoming weekend has finally arrived. What better option for dining than supporting the Hanover area by dining in town? Hanover offers a wide array of food selections that perpetually please its customers.

Panda House & Bamboo Garden

Located at 3 Lebanon Street, these restaurants provide famed Chinese cuisine along with tasty Japanese cuisine. Panda House provides chicken, seafood, pork, beef, vegetable and noodle dishes as well as House Specialties including its famous General Tso's Chicken. Appetizers range from $1.50 to $10.95 and main dishes from $6.25 to $17.95. Bamboo Garden's menu centers around sushi dishes. Appetizers range from $1.50 to $6.95 and entrees from $10.50 to $26 (combination for two people). 643-1290

Everything But Anchovies

You'll be sure to find an affordable meal here -- salads, sandwiches, pizzas, or pastas -- at Dartmouth's most famed eating establishment. Big Green/Dartmouth and sports memorabilia, including bonfire pictures and Boston Celtic shots, add to the enlivening atmosphere of this hopping restaurant. EBAs also delivers all-around campus. The hours -- 7 a.m. to 2 a.m. daily -- make for a great meal or snack at any time. 5 Allen Street. 643-6135

Subway

For a quick sandwich or snack, Subway is located in the same building as Ben and Jerry's. Not only are the traditional turkey, ham, salami, bologna, tuna and veggie sandwiches offered, but Kids' Meals for $1.99 are also available. 643-0360

Cafe Buon Gustai

For an intimate atmosphere which can displace one's thoughts to a restaurant in Italy, Cafe Buon Gustai provides fine Italian food with pastas, seafood, salads and various meat dishes. Reservations and appropriate, neat dress is encouraged. 643-5711

Murphy's Tavern

Eleven South Main Street is the place to go for socializing and eating in this lively restaurant with a separate bar and lounge. The atmosphere -- the dark-wooden floors, green awnings and TV set to a sports station -- welcomes guests who enjoy their homemade soups, hot sandwiches, steaks, pasta dishes, fajitas, and different appetizers. 643-4075

The Ivy Grill

The Ivy Grill boasts scenes out of Dartmouth's history and provides a relaxing setting for a casual night out with small groups or the family. Students can use their DASH discretionary accounts to charge entrees between $7 and $17. 643-4300

The Daniel Webster Room

Formal dress is advised for dining in Hanover Inn's remarkable Daniel Webster Room. To partake in this elegant dining affair, reservations for evening and weekend meals are strongly encouraged. Entrees run from $19 to $26, including selections of lamb, duck and tuna, among others which can be charged to students' DASH discretionary account.

The Jewel of India Restaurant

Located at 27 Lebanon Street and open seven days a week, this restaurant boasts the only Indian fare in town and also offers a Sunday buffet, takeout and free delivery. One can choose from among vegetarian dishes, breads, soups, seafood, chicken, beef and vegetable curries. Luncheon specials are also offered Monday through Saturday. Main courses range from $7.95 to $19.95. Casual dress is fine. 643-2217

Ben and Jerry's

You cannot come to Hanover without sampling the famed Vermonter's choice of ice cream. Cherry Garcia and Phish food, some of the newest flavors, entice customers daily. 11 Lebanon Street. 643-CONE

Molly's Balloon

This popular eating establishment at 43 South Main Street has on its menu its popular Thai Chicken Pasta ($7.95) along with an eclectic array of salads and burgers. Pictures of notable figures provide a spirited aura to the restaurant. Molly's big booths and hopping bar make for a lively social scene. 643-2570

Mrs. Ou's Chinese Cuisine

Mrs. Ou's on South Main Street provides another superb sampling of Chinese food. Appetizers range from $1.50 to $10.95. Entrees from $6.95. 643-8866

Lou's

Much livelier than the traditional diner, Lou's offers breakfast all day, frozen yogurt and a large selection of pastries. Omelets come highly recommended, as are burgers, shakes, salads, quesadillas, gyros and fries. Lou's does not take reservations but is almost always packed with native Hanover residents and students on the weekends, so plan enough time to wait and enjoy the food at Lou's. 643-3321

The Dirt Cowboy Cafe

Open from 7:30 am to midnight daily, this cafe offers not only traditional and exotic flavors of freshly brewed coffee, but also an extensive ice cream bar and self-serve frozen yogurt area with a wide selection of toppings. Saunter into the Dirt Cowboy in the morning for freshly-squeezed orange juice or hot chocolate, grab a baguette for lunch, or a cappuccino later in the day. A cozy section is open in the back, and students often take a break to read the paper over a hot cup of coffee. 643-1323

Ramunto's

Ramunto's Brick 'n' Brew Pizzeria has a lively atmosphere with menu selections not only including all different kinds of pizza, but also calzones, salads and sandwiches. Students crave their pizza and takeout often from Ramunto's at late hours. Garlic knots are addictive, as is the pizza. Brick Oven Pizza ranges from $5.95 to $8.25, a 14" (small) cheese pizza costs $7.95, and a 16" (large) cheese pizza costs $8.95. 643-9500