College offers students cultural, artistic outlet

Opportunities abound at Dartmouth for arts lovers to experience all genres of the fine and performing arts.

The obvious first stop for anyone interested in the arts is the Hopkins Center for the Performing Arts. The Hop contains many of the studios used for arts classes, as well as Spaulding Auditorium, Moore Theater, the Loew Theater and the Hood Museum.

Spaulding is the site of many Freshman Week activities, as well as the theater where many of the big films are shown. This versatile auditorium is also used for concerts, speakers and presentations, in addition to occasionally serving as the site of tests and exams for large classes.

The Dartmouth Film Society hosts a film series in Spaulding every term. These themed film exhibitions offer students a chance to see many excellent movies using a $10 film pass good for the entire term. Passes to the series will be on sale during registration and throughout the term at the Hop Center Box Office.

The Moore Theater is commonly the site for both Drama Department productions and visiting shows from around the world. The Bentley Theater, in the basement under the Moore, houses other smaller student productions. Attending these performances can offer great insight into the creativity and artistic talent of the Dartmouth community.

Loew Theater generally offers a great selection of art house films. Some of the Film Studies classes use this theater as their classroom as well.

The Hood is Dartmouth's own museum. It is responsible for Dartmouth's art collection as well as touring exhibitions. From Sept. 16 to Oct. 26, the Hood will be hosting an exhibition of works by William Hogarth.

Beginning Oct. 4, the Hood will also be showing "Intimate Encounters: Love and Domesticity in Eighteenth-Century France." This exhibition features a number of paintings and prints that focus on relationships and family in France in the 18th century. A number of lectures on related topics will be presented in conjunction with this exhibition .

There are also smaller galleries in the Hop itself. The exhibition areas host small shows and offer something new every few weeks. Stop by on your way to check your mail, and you might be surprised by what they have.

The not-for-profit Nugget Theater is situated on Main Street in Hanover. Operated by the Hanover Improvement Society and recently expanded, the Nugget offers many popular new releases as well as art-house type films. Two free films are screened every term for Dartmouth students.

The Sony Theater in West Lebanon also screens new releases. This multi-screen theater often shows new releases not shown at the Nugget.

A lot of bands also come to Dartmouth. Hosted by the Programming Board, past bands have included the Violent Femmes, the Dave Matthews Band, George Clinton and Natalie Merchant. Blitz the Programming Board for more information, including ticket prices, or check your BlitzMail Bulletin under "Concert Information."

Dartmouth is home to an unusually large number of a cappella groups as well. Ranging from all-male groups, such as the Aires and the Cords, co-ed groups, like the Dodecaphonics, or all-female groups, like the Rockapellas and the Decibelles, these groups are sure to delight.

These a capella groups usually perform at Greek houses on Wednesday nights and in a large a capella concert at the Hop once a term. To find out where you can find some good a capella, check out the Blitz Bulletins.