Women's Resource Center could move by year 2000

The Women's Resource Center, which has situated next to the Choates residence hall cluster for the past ten years, is still waiting to move to a more permanent and central location. And according to Women's Resource Center Director Giavanna Munafo, the wait could extend into the 21st century.

Munafo said plans to move the facility have not yet been finalized. But tentative plans call for the Center to move to a new location in the year 2000.

The scheme to relocate the building, however, is contingent on the rearrangement of other offices -- which can only occur after the completion of Moore Hall, the new psychology building, Munafo said.

Dean of Student Life Holly Sateia said the Center is competing with many other campus organizations for prime space.

Sateia said relocating the Center has been an issue of debate for "quite a while," but as space becomes available the College must determine which group receives priority to occupy the location.

According to Munafo, people have a difficult time locating the building. "We want people to be able to drop in more easily," she said.

Not only do many view the Center's current location as a problem, but the very limited space it occupies is also a sore point for some. Proponents of a new location argue that the size of the current facility limits the Center's programming options and opportunities.

"Now we have coffee houses on Saturday nights once or twice a term, but we have to keep these events small," Munafo said.

Munafo said the Center is not even able to hold its workshops in its own building because of limited space, which prevents participants from breaking up into smaller groups.

Monique Roy '00, a member of Women in the Wilderness, said she feels the Center should have more space in order to accommodate the dinners sponsored by the group.

Cherie Lewis '97, the programming intern for the Women's Resource Center, said the building should be moved so students "will feel free to come by more often," but does not feel the Center necessarily needs to be moved to a more centralized location on campus.

cause often students come here with a lot of personal issues they need to discuss."