Fayer residents report disturbances

Safety and Security is filing a report with West Point Academy after two of its rugby players allegedly attempted to break into a room on the second floor of Mid-Fayerweather early Monday morning, according to Safety and Security Crime Prevention Officer Rebel Roberts.

Area Coordinator in the Fayerweather Cluster Shefali Shah '97 said a freshman woman, who wished to remain anonymous, and her roommate were followed home from Alpha Delta fraternity by two West Point cadets at about 2:30 a.m. on Monday.

The two cadets were reported to be members of West Point's rugby team. No Dartmouth students were reported to be involved in the incident.

Shah said when the women refused to let the cadets into their room they attempted to break in from outside by climbing the fire escape and prying a screen of the common room.

The freshman woman notified her Undergraduate Advisor, who informed Shah. Shah then called Safety and Security.

By the time Safety and Security officers arrived the cadets had left the scene, Shah said.

Roberts said Safety and Security conducted "spot patrols of the area for the rest of the night to make students feel safe."

Roberts would not comment on the specifics of the report or if the College expected West Point to take any disciplinary action against the cadets.

Craig Smith '97, president of the Dartmouth Rugby Football Club, wrote in an e-mail message that after hearing of the incident he sent an apology for the West Point rugby team's behavior to the freshmen women's UGA. He said West Point's rugby coach will be contacted today to inform the team of the incident.

"The Dartmouth Rugby Football Club certainly disapproves of the West Point team's behavior and would like to apologize to the two '00 women involved. The club will keep this occurrence in mind when scheduling future team visits," he wrote.

At approximately the same time the incident in Mid-Fayerweather was reported, two West Point cadets were reported to be causing problems in South Fayerweather.

Dorothy Bright '97 said she was talking with a friend in her room.

"I heard a noise in the hall. Then somebody opened my door a couple of inches and then closed it," Bright said. "So I opened the door and looked out."

Bright said she noticed the words "blow me" had been written on her message board.

Obscene messages had also been written on the message boards of other students on the floor, according to Bright.

Bright said she saw two men at the end of the hall who appeared intoxicated.

Representatives of West Point Academy were unavailable for comment.