Director of development chosen

The College has tapped Carolyn Pelzel, Harvard University's senior development officer, to be the College's new director of development.

Pelzel, the associate director of development and director of external relations at Harvard, will assume her position at Dartmouth on Jan. 8.

"It's a privilege to have the opportunity to serve Dartmouth," Pelzel said.

As the new director, Pelzel will be in charge of all areas of Dartmouth's development program, which includes the annual fund, planned giving, corporate and foundation fundraising, information services and major and principle gifts.

"Dartmouth is one of the finest academic institutions," Pelzel said. "This is a wonderful opportunity to support the education of Dartmouth students."

"I'm delighted Carolyn Pelzel is coming -- she's first class," current Director of Development Lucretia Martin said. "Dartmouth is so lucky to lure her from Harvard."

"Pelzel has been in areas of development for 20 years. She's a very good manager of people and will be an excellent manager of the staff," Martin added.

Pelzel will arrive at Dartmouth following the College's Will to Excel Campaign. This campaign, which raised $568.2 million, ended last week.

"The recent campaign shows that the alumni and friends of the College are loyal and generous, the academic leadership has vision, the development office is highly skilled, and they all work together to support the faculty and students to make it a success," Pelzel said.

According to a College press release, one of Pelzel's primary tasks will include the designing and leading of a post-campaign transition plan.

This plan encourages individuals and institutions to continue giving to the College after donating to the capital campaign.

"Carrie Pelzel comes to us from an institution that is of the same quality as Dartmouth but runs the development program a bit differently. She brings skill and experience that will be new to Dartmouth but at a level of excellence [typical] for the College," said Stan Colla, vice president for development and alumni relations,

"She is, in her own words, 'drawn to opportunities' where she can make a difference to an institution and where the institution can make a difference to society," Colla continued.

During her 10 years at Harvard, Pelzel said she has been responsible for "international fundraising, university planned giving, research, communications and stewardship."

Pelzel said she also assists Harvard's provost with his fundraising responsibilities.

In addition, Pelzel serves as the director of the Harvard Partners Program.

The goal of this program, which she designed, is to look for possible supporters among non-alumni.

At Harvard, Pelzel implemented a new computer system which manages information about Harvard's 370,000 constituents.

Previously Pelzel served as executive vice president and staff consultant to The Williamson Group, which she described as "a computer system company, which designs software for colleges, universities, hospitals and museums."

She was also director of development and information services for the National Association of Independent Schools, and served as Northfield Mount Hermon School's director of external affairs.

A Newark, N.J., native, Pelzel graduated from Northfield Mount Hermon School and Trinity College in Connecticut.

She is a trustee of Trinity and a 1989 recipient of Trinity's alumni medal for excellence.

Pelzel succeeds Martin who has served as director of development since 1994 and as director of principal gifts since 1989.

Martin has also had shared responsibility for managing the recent capital campaign.

Martin said she served as director of development for "three years just to complete the Will to Excel Campaign." She said she "had planned to give it up as soon as the campaign was over."

Since 1970, Martin has been special assistant to three Dartmouth presidents-- the late John Kemeny, David McLaughlin and current College President James Freedman. She said she "works with larger donors to help Dartmouth get principle gifts."

Martin will continue to serve as Freedman's special assistant.