OSHA clears DDS of wrongdoing

Dartmouth Dining Services has been cleared of all wrongdoing following a recent investigation of temperature and humidity conditions in Thayer Dining Hall, according to Occupational Safety and Health Administration Area Director Paul O'Connell.

At a meeting on Friday afternoon that included DDS Director Pete Napolitano, Director of Environmental Health and Safety Michael Blaney, and an OSHA investigator, OSHA presented a report of its findings from the investigation, and said no punitive actions would be taken against DDS.

"All measurements were within the allowable ranges," O'Connell said.

Two weeks ago, OSHA responded to a complaint filed by a DDS employee alleging that conditions behind the grill and in the kitchen of Thayer were unsafely hot and humid.

An OSHA investigator visited the College and took measurements in several areas, O'Connell told The Dartmouth at that time.

Although the OSHA report mandated no sanctions against DDS, Blaney sent a letter to Napolitano that included several suggestions on how conditions in the investigated areas could be improved.

Blaney said DDS had already implemented some of the suggestions and was considering others.

"The College has implemented some measures to prevent heat stress during the summer months," the OSHA letter stated.

OSHA suggested that employees be allowed to drink fluids whenever there is hot weather -- not just during Summer term. In addition, OSHA suggested that new employees with "hot" jobs be allowed a "period of acclimatization" to acquaint themselves with the temperatures.

Blaney said that DDS had already been considering some of the suggestions.

For example, Blaney said, the OSHA investigator shared "a couple of ideas in terms of ventilation" that DDS had already been planning.

Napolitano has been working with the office of Facilities, Operations and Management over the "last couple of years" to help maintain good conditions at DDS facilities, Blaney said.

"You can constantly improve working conditions," Blaney said.

Napolitano was unavailable for comment last night.