Tuck School offers mentor experience to undergraduates

For Dartmouth undergraduate students seeking career advice, summer employment or internships the Tuck-Dartmouth Career Mentor Program may be an new avenue to explore.

The newly revamped program, also known as the Tuck-Dartmouth Liaison Program, provides programming and information for students interested in business-related fields.

Several programs have evolved out of the desire of students at the Amos Tuck School of Business Administration to aid the undergraduates of Dartmouth, Interim Director of Career Services Kathryn Hutchinson said.

"The first are career panels at the beginning of freshman year," she said. "These panels inform the students about the professions."

The panels are staff by a handful of Tuck School students each year who volunteer to tell undergraduate students about their experiences in business related fields, said Lynn Auth '91, the program's coordinator at the Tuck School.

In the fall, 150 students attended the panel on finance, Auth said. Another 150 attended the one on consulting. Sixty students went to the panel on advertising and 40 were at the not-for-profit panel. "The attendance in the fall was significant," she said.

Hutchinson said the mock interviews conducted by Tuck School students are the second and most popular service of the Tuck Schoolprogram.

"Tuck students have a 15 minute mock interview of a student," Hutchinson said. "Then a 15 minute feedback follows."

These interviews are in the three areas: finances, consulting and advertising.

Hutchinson said the program's interviews provide huge benefits. She said students have said the interviews are helpful.

"Practice interviews with someone who knows the company from the inside is a privilege," she said. "It could be great if students applying for other professions [outside of those offered through this program] could be represented like that."

"Other colleges are impressed with our mock interview programs," she added.

A "how to" interview discussion was held before Christmas, Auth said.

There are many students who, because of their experience, are great sources of information about a profession or organization, Hutchinson said.

These students help form a network of Tuck School students who undergraduates can contact to get the real story behind jobs, Auth said.

"It helps to make the transition from College to working easier because the Tuck students have already gone through this," she said.

"This is a real opportunity for students," Hutchinson said. "Tuck students only have been away from College for a little while.

They can help with job adjustment and the transition to the workplace," she added.

The Mentor Program intends to offer resume review classes this term, Auth said.

These classes will allow students who are applying for jobs and internships to submit resumes for criticism by Tuck students who have worked in those professions before.

The offerings of this program are mainly advertised through Career Services, Auth said.

Daryl Gehman assistant director of Career Services said "It's a way that Tuck students feel they can give back to other students on campus." "They also make a contribution to the College community," Gehman said.

More than 40 Tuck School students have been assisting with the program, Auth said.

"They're really excited about getting to contribute and help undergraduates," she said.

"We would like more interaction between Tuck and Dartmouth," she continued. "Many students feel kind of away from the undergraduates."

This program facilitates interaction between students at the College and at the Tuck school.

The program is being run by Auth, Tom Naughton '89, and Bart Osman '90.

"We three knew Tuck students had experience and knowledge and wanted to share that," Auth said. "We thought we could have a lot of value."

"Tom, Bart and myself wanted to give to the undergraduates and give back to the College," she continued.

"This program has been going on for a while but it geared up this year," Auth continued. "It runs for all terms but is concentrated on the fall and winter terms."

The program has been running for four to five years, Gehman and Hutchinson said.

But Auth said the program has been informally run for about 15 years. "It intensified this year with Daryl Gehman," she said.