Dole camp confirms Saturday visit to AD

Sen. Robert Dole will speak at Alpha Delta fraternity Saturday morning during a campaign stop that will be broadcast by Music Television, according to MTV and the Dole for President campaign.

The Kansas Republican will arrive at 9:40 a.m. for an invitation-only reception inside the house, followed by a public speech outside AD from 10:20 to 11:05 a.m., according to a Dole campaign press release.

Mark Bien of MTV said the event will be covered by the network as the kick-off for their "Choose or Lose" series on the 1996 presidential campaign.

The "Choose or Lose" campaign is an effort by MTV to urge young citizens to register and vote in the primaries and general election.

MTV's "Choose or Lose" bus will be at the event, featuring interactive computer forums, voter guides and voter registration information, according to a press release. The bus will travel around the country until the November general election rallying young voters.

In addition to Dole's speech, the network will also be filming MTV News reporter Tabitha Soren's interview with Dole, the press release said.

The interview will be broadcast Monday, Jan. 22 on MTV, the release stated.

Dartmouth Peace Action, a recently formed student group, plans to protest Dole's appearance with a silent picket across the street from AD.

Group co-founder Sean Donahue '96 said the group is protesting Dole's legislative record on arms control and military spending.

"He's supported sending arms to countries who abuse their citizen's human rights" and supported increased military spending, Donahue said.

Donahue said MTV's planned coverage of the event was a factor in the group's decision to picket.

They want to draw media attention to the relatively ignored issues of arms control and "hold Senator Dole accountable for his actions," Donahue said.

The picket will be Dartmouth Peace Action's first public event, but the group has been organizing since the fall, according to Donahue.

A press release by the group identifies them as a local affiliate of the Peace Action Student Network. Donahue said about 20 students are on the group's BlitzMail list.