Looking for a break from College food? A guide to Hanover's popular restaurants

While many students enjoy Homecoming because of its traditions like the freshman bonfire and parade, others anticipate the weekend for an equally important reason: free meals courtesy of family and friends visiting the College for the Homecoming festivities. Hanover offers a multitude of exciting alternatives to Dartmouth Dining Services.

C&A's House of Pizza

A quiet, casual pizzeria frequented by students, C&A's serves pizza, pasta and a variety of hot and cold submarine sandwiches. Prices range from $3 to $12. Located on 17 Lebanon Street (643-2966).

Cafe Buon Gustaio

Combining northern Italian cuisine with an intimate, elegant atmosphere, Cafe Buon Gustaio offers a variety of salads, pastas, beef and veal dishes. Entree prices range up to $19. Serving only dinner, reservations are suggested although not required. Located at 72 South Main Street (643-5711).

The Dirt Cowboy Cafe

One of Hanover's most popular coffeehouses, the Dirt Cowboy Cafe is a popular student hangout, offering poetry readings and other events. Coffee prices range from $1 to $3, and inexpensive pastries are also available. Located at 9 South Main Street (643-1323).

Everything But Anchovies

A popular late-night hangout for both students and locals, Everything But Anchovies is best known for its pizzas, but also serves salads, sandwiches, pastas and ice cream. Prices range from $5 to $10. Located at 5 Allen Street (646-6135).

5 Olde Nugget Alley

A faculty favorite, 5 Olde Nugget Alley serves American fare such as burgers, sandwiches and steak, as well as exotic items like fajitas. Those over 21 often frequent the restaurant's basement bar. Prices usually hover between $8 and $10. And if you need to know the location, you should probably read over the name of the restaurant one more time (643-5081).

Foodee's

The winner of Boston radio station WBZ's "Best Pizza in New England Contest," Foodee's serves a variety of traditional and specialty pizzas, priced between $4 and $15, to a clientele of local families and students. Pastas and sandwiches are also available. Located at 45 Lyme Road (643-8852).

The Ivy Grill

Located within the College-owned Hanover Inn, the Ivy Grill offers burgers, pizza and pasta, as

muffins and bread. Prices range from $3 to $8, and the restaurant is closed on Mondays. Located at 30 South Main Street (643-3321).

Molly's Balloon

Molly's Balloon offers a particularly diverse menu, serving steak, spare ribs, sandwiches and stir fry, as well as a number of Mexican dishes from the restaurant's previous incarnation as a Mexican restaurant. An eclectic crowd frequents the restaurant, including students, faculty and local residents. Prices range from $5 to $15. Located at 43 South Main Street (643-2570).

Murphy's Tavern

A cozy tavern serving a variety of beers and mixed drinks, Murphy's is particularly popular with students over 21. Seafood, steak, soups and sandwiches are also served at prices ranging from $5 to $15. Located at 11 South Main Street (643-4075).