Dartmouth women grace Playboy

Playboy Magazine's "Women of the Ivy League" issue, which includes pictures of Xantha Bruso '97 and Shannon Smith '96, is rapidly disappearing from the shelves of local stores.

"Usually we sell 20 [issues of Playboy] per month," said Terry Walz, the Dartmouth Bookstore's periodical manager. "We sold 20 of this issue in the first eight days."

Walz said the store ordered 30 more copies, "but we're already chewing into that. It will probably fly off the shelves."

The pictorial features 26 women from all eight Ivy League schools. Though a few chose to remain fully clothed, most appear at least partially nude.

According to Playboy's introduction to the spread, Ivy League "football teams are so-so, their parties are more smarty than hearty, and even during warm months their clammy campuses drip like a summer cold."

The pictorial begins with a two-page photograph of seven naked Yale students, who streaked the New Haven, Conn. campus to protest Playboy photographers' presence and discourage women from posing.

Naked Yalies who decided to pose for the magazine appear in two inset photos, one accompanied by the caption: "A self-described feminist, Yale's Amy Nabors says: 'I wanted to pose for Playboy to show that we're not asexual man-haters.' After finishing her course work here, the anthropology major says she wants to study sex in other cultures."

Henry Hazen, the marketing manager of the Verham News, a Lebanon magazine distributor, said "the Hanover dealers are certainly reordering this issue heavier than normal."

But Hanover is not the only place the issue is selling well.

Elizabeth Norris, Playboy's public relations director, said in a telephone interview that the issue "is a big success."

"We have had a lot of people show up for autograph sessions, a lot of media interest in interviewing the women," she said. "And the magazine is selling well at the newsstands."

Norris said the women who posed "are having fun and telling us they are glad they did this. They received very positive feedback from their friends and family. Everybody loves it."

Bruso and Smith, the only two Dartmouth women who appear in the spread, both said they are happy with their pictures.

Smith, whose pose on a staircase reveals much of her backside and the profile of one breast, said public feedback has been positive.

"I've had no negative reactions from anyone," she said. "Most think it was brave of me or they think itis neat and interesting."

Strangers have sent Smith about 10 letters and 20 electronic-mail messages about her picture, she said.

"I never expected this much attention," she said. The senders "have all given me a little information about themselves. Most have [statistics] sections where they put their own descriptions."

"They want to see me," Smith said. "One guy gave me his work number, his phone number, his fax number and his e-mail address."

According to Smith, her decision to pose had nothing "to do with women's rights. I believe the human body is beautiful and not something that should be hidden. It is not something against women, but for the human body."

Smith's decision to pose made headlines last May, spoiling her plan to conceal her picture from her parents. A photo of her interviewing with Playboy photographer David Mecey appeared on the front page of the Valley News.

Smith told the Valley News in May she hoped to keep her posing for Playboy a secret from her parents until the issue came out. "My mom will obviously be shocked," Smith said in May.

But Smith said yesterday that her mother "supported me in what I wanted to do." Smith said she doubts her mother has seen the issue.

Bruso, who posed fully clothed in the magazine, was described by Playboy as "an Asian studies and geography major who has her own motorcycle, sings with a gospel choir and last June planned an all-girl trip to the Himalayas."

Bruso said the caption is inaccurate -- she is only considering planning a trip to the Himalayas.

Like Smith, Bruno said she has received a lot of attention.

"I got about 10 blitzes that have been pretty funny and I got one phone call. But he thought I was the woman on the other side of the page," she said.