'White paper' has yet to appear

College administrators and trustees waiting for the "white paper" on the Greek system, promised to them by former Student Assembly President Rukmini Sichitiu '95, may have to continue waiting for a while.

Sichitiu announced late in Spring term she would release a white paper, named after the non-binding policy statements written by British prime ministers when they feel strongly about an issue, to the College Board of Trustees at their meeting in June.

By June, Sichitiu had not finished the white paper. Instead, she informally discussed her ideas with Trustees Peter Fahey, Joe Mathewson and David Shribman, as well as Dean of the College Lee Pelton and Dean of Residential Life Mary Turco.

But early this summer, Sichitiu had to fly to Romania from her home in Ojai, Calif., to attend the funeral of her father, Sichitiu's friend Cate Avoes '98 said in a telephone interview yesterday. Avoes said Sichitiu is currently in Czechoslovakia.

College administrators and Trustees awaiting the paper say they have not heard from Sichitiu nor received the paper gleaned from interviews with close to 30 Greek leaders Spring term.

"We expect to receive something," Dean of Residential Life Mary Turco said. "I don't think she'll fail to provide it."

"I don't know why it isn't here," she added.

Administrators and Trustees, also said they were content to wait a while longer.

"There was no time frame set," Trustee Peter Fahey said.

Dean of the College Lee Pelton said ultimately it is up to Sichitiu to submit her white paper when she sees fit.

"It's a project that she took on voluntarily, and I guess it's a project she voluntarily decided not to complete, at least at this time," Pelton said.

The piece would mark the first time ever an individual undertook to comprehensively review the Greek system.

"I can't recall anyone undertaking such an effort," Trustee Joe Mathewson said.

Among other suggestions from her informal discussion, Sichitiu recommended a two-year review of the College's Coed Fraternity Sorority system, with the aim of creating a stricter array of standards for Greek houses, Turco told The Dartmouth earlier this summer.

-- News Editor Siobhan Gorman contributed to this story.