DDS head elected as food services regional president

Director of Dartmouth Dining Services Pete Napolitano was recently elected to a two-year term as president of Region I of the National Association of College University Food Services, an institutional organization of about 500 universities and private schools that operate their own food services programs.

"I feel pretty honored to be elected by the membership," Napolitano said.

Napolitano said 106 schools are members of Region I, which includes New England, New York and the eastern part of Canada. "There are members in Australia, Europe and the Middle East," Napolitano said. "Region I is the largest region."

At the organization's recent national business meeting in Burlington, Vt., Napolitano competed for the presidency against three other candidates from Yeshiva University, Rochester Institute of Technology and Amherst College. Napolitano has been a member of NACUFS for 19 years.

As president, Napolitano will serve on the board with the presidents of the other eight regions and will be required to attend two board meetings a year, as well as a yearly national conference and committee meeting.

Napolitano said serving as NACUFS president will enable him to learn more about dining programs at other schools.

"It will put me more in touch with other administrators ... and help enrich and promote Dartmouth in its food service," Napolitano said.

Napolitano has been at Dartmouth for seven years.