Group forges ahead with alcohol review

A task force formed at the beginning of the term to examine the problems caused by alcohol at the College has divided into sub-committees and is working hard to finish its report by the end of the term.

Members of the task force were chosen at the start of the term, said Director of College Health Services Dr. Jack Turco, the co-chair of the task force. Emily Jones '95 is the other co-chair.

Dean of the College Lee Pelton created the task force and gave it its charge this winter.

Pelton previously said the task force would examine four aspects of alcohol on campus: underage drinking, the effect of alcohol on gender relations, the College's alcohol programs and the membership and charter of the College Committee on Alcohol and Other Drugs.

Turco said at the task force's first meeting, the members of the task force decided to "divide the pie up" to reduce overlap in its evaluation.

The task force was divided into four sub-committees, Turco said, each with a student and administrator as a co-chair. The four sub-committees are Education, Institutional Issues, Policy and Student Life.

He said the sub-committees will each work within their own areas using recent reports on alcohol and talking to individuals on campus.

Turco said the committees will also use the recent report by the Committee to Revise Coed Fraternity and Sorority Social Procedures. The Committee issued a report last term proposing a number of changes to the College's alcohol policy.

He said the final report, which will be completed around the end of the term, will include the task force's viewpoints and recommendations.

The Education sub-committee will be led by Coordinator of Health Education Programs Gabrielle Lucke and Dani Brune '96. The sub-committee on Institutional Issues will be chaired by Assistant Dean of Residential Life Alison Keefe and Matt Herman '98.

Senior Associate Dean of the College Dan Nelson and Michele Lamberti '97 will chair the Policy sub-committee. The Student Life sub-committee is chaired by the Associate Director of Dartmouth Dining Services Tucker Rossiter and Calvin Daniels '96.