Task force examines WDCR

A faculty and student task force is currently evaluating the purpose and future format of WDCR, the College's AM radio station.

At a meeting yesterday, task force members discussed possible changes to the radio station, including a switch to an all-news format.

Cara Abercrombie '97, a former WDCR Disc Jockey, said the task force discussed a number of long and short-term goals for the radio station including increasing the station's visibility on campus, encouraging greater student participation and emphasizing the broadcast journalism and career aspects of the station.

"It was really productive and I think [the task force] will have a lot to work with when they meet again in the spring," she said.

The task force was created in response to a conflict that erupted at the end of January when WDCR's programming director, Pammela Quinn '95, resigned.

Quinn said she left because Station Manager Phil Augur began to make decisions about the future of the station without consulting other station directors. Quinn said Augur wanted to change WDCR into a talk radio station.

The task force is expected to report to the Board of Overseers of Dartmouth Broadcasting in May.

"To say anything right now is a little premature since the task force has not made its recommendation yet," Board Chair Clarence Adams said.

Adams said a previous proposal to transform WDCR into a news and talk show station was overturned by the Board of Overseers earlier this term.

"Any cutting back on student opportunity to broadcast creative programming would be not looked upon very kindly by the Board of Overseers" or the College's Board of Trustees, Adams said.