Pelton to bring proposals to Trustees in June

Dean of the College Lee Pelton will delay bringing his final recommendations on the First-Year experience to the Board of Trustees until June.

Originally, Pelton had planned to release a set of final recommendations at the end of February and present them to the Board at its April meeting.

But Pelton said he delayed the release because he wanted to give students more time to express concerns about the final proposals. Pelton said will also use the extra time to discuss his recommendations with faculty and alumnae.

Pelton said he hopes have the final recommendations released to the public by early May.

The Committee on the First-Year Experience, which issued its initial report last May, recommended substantial changes to increase intellectualism in the first-year experience, including primarily freshman residence hall clusters with a faculty member living in a house near the cluster.

Pelton, who chaired the committee, said he will continue to invite students to his home to discuss the proposals this term and continue to solicit the opinions of alumnae.

Pelton said he will not institute the smaller recommendations of the report before he speaks with the Trustees in June.