CUAD asks for earlier Greek rush

The Conservative Union At Dartmouth will hold a petition drive to try to show the administration there is strong student support for moving Greek rush from sophomore fall to freshman spring.

CUAD will organize student volunteers to set up tables for the drive in The Hopkins Center for the Performing Arts during the afternoon and in Thayer Dining Hall in the evening today, Friday and Monday, according to CUAD President Bill Hall '96.

"We want to show the administration there is a lot of student support for this," Hall said.

Hall said the idea of the petition drive was suggested during CUAD meetings last term. The group's leaders decided to conduct the petition drive at its last executive meeting in Winter term.

In 1988, the Board of Trustees moved rush from freshman spring to sophomore spring. Rush was moved back to sophomore fall for the Class of 1995.

Dean of the College Lee Pelton said the Trustees, who would have the final say on the matter, "have no interest in moving rush to freshman year."

Pelton, who said students have approached him about moving rush, noted the Board moved rush to sophomore year to allow freshmen to meet each other without being burdened with residential and social considerations.

Hall said the move would give students more flexibility and would be a "super way of ending the housing crisis."

There has been a housing crunch the last two Fall terms, partially caused by the large number of sophomores who stay on to participate in rush. Hall said if rush was moved, students could take a leave term or go on an off-campus program in the fall.

He also said students who choose to be in residence during sophomore fall would be able to live in Greek houses, thereby freeing up more space in College residence halls.

Hall said he and other CUAD members have spoken to administrators about the possibility of moving rush, but he said "they haven't looked into it as much as they should."

He said administrators have not rejected the idea, but have not moved quickly enough in addressing the issue.

Pelton said if students think moving rush would help alleviate the housing crunch, they should try to move rush to sophomore winter.

Student Assembly Vice President John Honovich '97, a member of CUAD, said it is important to consider the move because the new Office of Residential Life housing plan gives lowest priority to sophomores, who currently do not "have another option of living in Greek houses."

The ORL plan continues to guarantee housing for freshmen and gives priority for on-campus housing to seniors, followed by juniors and sophomores.