Tell of 'Traditions Fail' on D.O.C. Trips

It is fall again, and I find myself looking at Dartmouth with the same fresh-from-high-school enthusiasm and idealism that I had when I arrived here for my Dartmouth Outing Club trip last September. I trucked in on a bus from New York. I spoke to no one. By the time I re-boarded that same bus to go home, I was surrounded by tripmates and new friends. It was exciting. It was fun.

I still miss my D.O.C. days, but whenever I think back to the trip, one bad scene sticks out in my mind. No, not the fact that I had to be coerced to keep moving up the mountain by my tripleader.

It was actually after the hiking was over and we were all warm and happy, frolicking in the lodge at Moosilauke. Everyone gathered to sing the alma mater. I and two of my tripmates threw our arms around each other's shoulders and sang, proud that we had mastered all the words (and the Salty Dog) before we got off the mountain.

We sang loudly, despite our very obvious and obnoxious lack of talent. And when we got to the infamous second line of the second verse, we yelled "Lest the old traditions fail!" at the top of our voices.

Looks of dismay were immediately evident on the lodge crew members standing in front of us. I dismissed this as disapproval of our over-enthusiasm, and the damage we were inflicting on the music.

After the singing was over, and everyone began to wander about the room in anticipation of square dancing, we were confronted by a member of the crew. He said the origin of that tradition was a protest against the college's new policy of admitting people who were not strictly white upper-class males, the "old tradition," and that it was offensive to him and other members of the crew.

I was shocked speechless, and, to my chagrin, burst into tears. I had no idea that shouting those words was anything but school spirit. My tripleader had taught us the song, and told us that everyone yelled it. He never mentioned anything about it being offensive to anyone.

I have always had a large problem with PCisms. I had no problem being called 'shmen, or a waitress. But I cannot tolerate when the actions of someone insult and offend other people around them.

That is not "PC"; it's human decency. It is decent and respectful to others to not say, do, or wear things that will cause them pain. Ignorance is no excuse.

It is the responsibility of everyone who comes in contact with new members of the Dartmouth community to educate them on how their actions affect others. My tripleader knew when he taught us the alma mater that shouting that line was offensive, not only to faceless, nameless "other students," but to me and my two tripmates -- all three of us female students at Dartmouth; yet he said nothing.

I was pleased to hear that tripleaders this year explained to their tripees the origins of this tradition, not only because it probably saved a few freshmen from the embarrassment I felt at unknowingly insulting myself and others, but also because it educated a few more students about the harmful effects of a "simple" tradition.