Spectator editor finds herself in the hotseat

How far will an Ivy League newspaper go to bring the most pressing news to the fingertips of the campus community? Pretty far, as some are alleging, if you're Ruth Halikman, the editor in chief of the Columbia Daily Spectator.

When Halikman discovered the nearby fire house, Engine Company No. 47, had a new fire truck, she assigned a photo to be taken, like any good editor would. That was Sunday, Oct. 9 and she expected a story to be written for the next day's paper.

Halikman waited patiently at first for the fire truck to come out so she could have its picture taken. But after some time, she realized the fire engine might not make an appearance.

But deadline was approaching and her actions seemingly began to take a more desperate course.

Halikman allegedly pulled a fire alarm in Furnald Hall on Columbia's campus and the new fire truck raced out of the garage as the assigned photographer ran after it and took pictures.

Fire marshals sought out Halikman last Friday concerning Sunday's events. Fire Department spokesman Jerry Sanford said she could be charged with falsely reporting an incident, which is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine to be decided by a judge.

News of Halikman's unconventional methods of getting the photo spread throughout the upper echelon of the Spectator's directorate. Spectator Managing Editor Mike Stanton and Publisher Christopher Conway called a meeting the following Monday night.

After the managing board meeting, Halikman resigned.

"We discussed the problem and Ruth decided that the best way to deal with the issue was to resign," Stanton told newspapers reporting the incident. "She said she really didn't understand what the consequences of pulling a fire alarm were."

Spectator Editorials Editor Peter Freeman said Halikman's decision to resign was not forced upon her by the board and she freely chose to do so.

"[This incident] hasn't really hurt the paper, no one's bigger than the paper. Things are going smoothly," Freeman said.

On Wednesday, a house editorial of the Spectator detailed what Halikman allegedly did, but reassured readers that the paper remains "dedicated to presenting the daily news objectively and honestly."

Richard Altman, the Spectator's associate photo editor, took the photo of the fire truck. Members of the managing board "offered Altman a chance to resign," according to Altman.

But he claims he did not know of the plan to pull the fire alarm. Altman has since been demoted to senior photographer because some members of the managing board felt he didn't do anything to stop her.

Altman says he arrived at the offices of the Spectator at about 4:30 p.m. and saw an assignment on his desk to report to the fire station and take a picture of the truck when it emerged.

"I figured in New York an alarm is going to go off eventually," Altman told the New York Times. "For all I know, a burnt piece of toast in a toaster touched off the alarm."

Reached by telephone last night in New York City, Altman said he arrived near the station, which is about three blocks from the Spectator offices, at about 4:45 p.m. The sun began to set around 5 p.m., so Altman returned to the office to get higher-speed film.

Altman said he spoke out loud in the office and joked that someone should pull the fire alarm or something else exciting. He said he casually said, "You guys can do what you want," when Halikman was nearby.

Then both Altman and Halikman left the offices and Altman arrived near the fire station at about 5:05 p.m. Ten minutes later, he said, the truck flew out of the station and he ran after it, taking pictures.

Spectator Arts and Entertainment Editor Marco Roth, Halikman's boyfriend, said Halikman told him she pulled the alarm at the urging of Altman.

"Ruth's boyfriend says things that are not true," Altman said. "I didn't see my actions as any that would precipitate her doing anything."

Roth quit the paper because he says Halikman has been mistreated and the issue has been blown out of proportion.

Halikman and Roth could not be reached for comment. But sources close to Halikman said the stories being reported in newspapers across the country are not entirely accurate.

Halikman has been advised not to make any statements without her attorney.

Columbia University Spokesman Fred Knubel said it is the college's policy not to comment on student disciplinary matters.

The paper continued plans to hold the feature article on the fire truck. As for the pictures, "They will definitely not run," Stanton said.