Hanover businesses prepare

With the arrival of Homecoming weekend, Hanover businesses are preparing for an influx of shoppers and diners.

Clint Bean, of the Hanover Chamber of Commerce, said there are no accommodations available within a 30-40 mile radius. Bean said the weekend becomes a major stimulus for area businesses.

The Hanover Chamber of Commerce will also launch a new advertising campaign this weekend called "Friday Night Live," where Hanover businesses will extend their hours on Friday night, Bean said.

Stores will open longer "to attact and provide store hours for a lot of people who can't go in town during the week," Bean said.

"It's definitely the biggest weekend of the year," said Dick Clapp, owner of the Sun Dogs food stand.

Clapp said he didn't think even inclement weather could affect the turnout for Homecoming and the football game against a traditionally big rival.

This weekend's game against Yale will have the usual pregame festivities, including the marching band playing in front of the Dartmouth Co-op, Chris Stowe of the Co-op said.

The band will also treat patrons of the Co-op to a wild performance wandering through the racks and displays inside the store if the Green win the game, Stowe said.

The Co-op will not be offering specially printed Homecoming T-shirts this year, but will be focusing on selling other merchandise bearing the Dartmouth insignia to the numerous alumni and tourists who will flock to Hanover this weekend, Stowe said.

Along with the rest of the stores on Main Street, Stinson's and Beverage King in West Lebanon are preparing for a weekend of parties, employees of the two establishments said.

Earl Heath, owner of Beverage King, said they will have plenty of beverages ranging from beer to wine coolers on hand, and are waiting to see how busy the weekend will be.