Rockefeller Center search continues

The College is bringing two more candidates to campus in its continuing search to find a replacement for George Demko, the former director of the Rockefeller Center for the Social Sciences.

Associate Dean of the Faculty George Wolford, chair of the search committee, said there is a final short list of five candidates. Three of those candidates have visited Hanover so far.

University of Minnesota Political Science Professor Paul Light will visit on Wednesday and City College of New York Professor Cynthia Epstein will visit next Wednesday.

Epstein is an expert in feminism and sociology, Wolford said.

Wolford said the candiates who have visited already, Jack Dovidio from Colgate University, Linda Fowler of Syracuse University and Harvard University's Ted MacDonald have been "good."

Jim Brennan '96, the student intern for the Rockefeller Center, said he was impressed with the wide range of views he heard from the candidates.

"The search processes is going well because there has been a wide range of candidates interested in different fields who have come up and have different ideas in terms of new programs and the way they want the Rockefeller Center to run," Brennan said.

He said an external review of the Rockefeller Center last year recommended a greater orientation towards policy issues.

Brennan said the candidates are aware of those recommendations.

"Most of them [have] different ways they want to bring that about," he said.

Wolford said the committee has not yet made any decisions and added that it will probably pick a successor in fall. He said the committee does not plan to look at any new candidates.

"I'm hoping this is it," Wolford said.

Brennan said the committee is "definitely taking" student input into account.

Demko is currently on sabbatical and will teach a Foreign Study Program in Prague, Czech Republic in March.

Roxanne Waldner is the interim head of the Rockefeller Center.