Greenberg appointed to head cancer center

E. Robert Greenberg, a Dartmouth Medical School faculty member, recently took over as the head of Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital's Norris Cotton Cancer Center.

DMS Dean Andrew Wallace appointed Greenberg, an epidemiologist who has been at Dartmouth since 1975, in the spring.

Greenberg took over as head on July 5.

"I don't think we could have made a better or stronger choice," Wallace said.

"He is a national leader in epidemiology and prevention of cancer. Emphasis on prevention is a current major theme at the National Cancer Institute which funds our program," Wallace added.

Epidemiology is the science of disease occurrence and research of disease patterns.

Greenberg said he was excited about the job and added the appointment came as a surprise.

He said he received the news while he at the University of California at San Diego School of Medicine, where he was a visiting scientist last year.

Greenberg succeeded Edward Bresnich, who took over as vice chancellor for research at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center.

Greenberg is the third head of the center.

Ross McIntyre was the first director of the cancer center, which is located on Maynard Street, north of Baker Library.

The center will move to the DHMC within the next year or two.

Wallace said Greenberg's experience as a faculty member, productive researcher and clinician make him a good choice to lead the regional cancer center.

Greenberg was the former director of the center's cancer research program, according to a Dartmouth-Hitchcok Medical Center press release.

As its head, Greenberg said he wants to expand coverage in the Upper Valley.

He said it is important to relay research advances and new forms of treatment and prevention to regional doctors so patients in Northern New England get the best coverage possible.

There should be more "focused efforts for cancer prevention in our region," he said.

Wallace said the center is one of 21 nationally designated "comprehensive cancer centers."

The mission of these centers, he said, is basic research, and application and translation of the findings for clinics.

Wallace said Greenberg's work is consistent with the effort of the centers to concentrate on research and regional help.

Greenberg said an example of helping local doctors with the most advanced treatment is educating nurses on how to use "the most up to date chemotherapy."

"His personal interests and track research are focused on large populations and how we can learn how to prevent cancer," Wallace said. "His views are in sync with the Norris Cotton Cancer Center."

Wallace said Greenberg wants to include Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and North Massachusetts in the center's reach.

Greenberg said he has been experimenting over the past 10 years with various nutritional supplements.

He has examined how beta carotene and vitamin C help to prevent cancer.

Greenberg said he has also researched exposure to various substances and genetic makeup as two possible causes of cancer.

He added that he looked at colon and breast cancers and how to prevent and treat them.

Greenberg said one of the most important features of the center is its facilities.

He said the center creates an environment where basic science researchers can work together toward a common goal. He added that it is "a forum for investigators."

Greenberg said the Norris Cotton Cancer center is "ahead of the curve" of the National Institute of Health.

He said the NIH is moving toward more applied research, cancer control and cancer prevention.

"This changing climate ... is going to benefit a large proportion of our members," he said.

Greenberg received his medical degree in 1969 from Case Western Reserve University.

He also received his bachelor's degree from Case Western three years earlier, he said.

He said he worked for the Centers for Disease Control in Puerto Rico where he researched tropical diseases.