Stewart '96 en route to full recovery

Jon Stewart '96, who fell out of a window at Alpha Delta fraternity in April, is resting at home in Ohio and said he will soon be fully recovered.

After a seven-week stay at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Stewart was released on June 6.

"I'm carrying on a pretty normal lifestyle," he said in a reccent telephone interview. Stewart said he is currently working as a waiter.

Stewart said the rumors flying around campus that he or his parents might file a lawsuit against the fraternity or the College are untrue.

"There won't be any [lawsuits]," Stewart said.

Stewart said his internal injuries have healed. He sustained a punctured right lung and a blockage of the small intestine.

He also fractured a vertebra in the accident and still wears a back brace.

Stewart is currently on a leave term, but said he plans to return to campus in the fall.

"Carrying a full Dartmouth load would be a little too strenuous at this point," he said. "It's definitely nice though to be up and moving around. It's a huge difference from laying on my back."

Hanover Police Detective Rick Paulsen said the police investigation of the incident continues. He added that early speculation that Stewart was pushed was incorrect.

"I don't think he was pushed," he said. "What it pretty much comes down to is that he fell out of the window."