Carnival poster to go on sale this week

The 1994 Winter Carnival Committee will award David Stack '96 $100 today for his winning poster that features a jovial jester character cracking through a dreary College campus to reveal a colorful Baker Library.

"We felt the contrast was very nice and that it was what we wanted," said Tammy Busch '95, co-chair of the Winter Carnival Council.

Stack has been drawing cartoons since childhood but has not done any other artwork at the College.

"I kind of didn't like the poster from last year and thought I could do better," Stack said.

Last year's design featured a snowman wearing sunglasses posing with a surfboard on a snow-covered island. The theme was "Carnival in a Tropical Paradice."

"I just figured what the heck," he said. "It was really kind of a shock to see my name up there on the wall."

Stack said he plans to apply for a grant next term so he can finish illustrating some children's stories which he has written.

Students can buy copies of the poster and Winter Carnival t-shirts today at the Hopkins Center for Performing Arts between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. and at Thayer between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. Prices are $5 for posters, $10 for short-sleeved t-shirts and $12 for long-sleeved t-shirts.