Streaking the Green; Men's cross country team reprimanded

It was the men's cross country track team and they were running, they just didn't happen to have their clothes on. No cleats, no shorts, just flesh.

At about 5:10 Friday afternoon, naked members of the cross country team ran southeast diagonally across the Green, surprising students who had gathered at the center of campus to enjoy the sunny weather.

The naked runners had lost a bet with their teammates made at an inter-squad meet earlier that afternoon. The team broke up into two groups and decided the losing group would streak.

Many foreign language drill sections were meeting on the Green as the naked men began their run.

Drill instructor Dominique Ellner '94 said three team members ran across the Green with a handful of teammates around them.

"The streakers all wore white t-shirts over their heads," she said.

Members of the College's Board of Trustees were near the Green, and saw the runners streak across.

Streaking is somewhat of a cross country team tradition.

"I guess that we've been known for doing that," said Derek West '94, a team co-captain.

Runner Sam Wilbur '94 said anytime a team member has a birthday he is expected to streak across the Green.

But members of the team, ranked 18th in the country, said further streaking is unlikely. After Friday's incident Athletic Director Dick Jaegar reprimanded the team.

"They lit into the coach," Wilbur said. "He's really pissed off. It has nothing to do with him. We don't want to get him into trouble."

"It really doesn't reflect well on the team," West said.