'97s select class president

Pamela Saunders, of Brooklyn, N.Y., was elected president of the Class of 1997 at a Freshman Council meeting Wednesday night.

She said her first effort will be to increase safety at the homecoming bonfire by asking members of the freshman class to promise they will not drink on Dartmouth Night.

Matt Shafer, of Oneida, N.Y., was elected freshman vice president.

Other '97 officers are Secretary Sean Cunningham, Treasurer Jason Casell and Student Assembly representatives Monu Bedi, Paul Pfeiffer, Geoffrey Garinger, Jennifer Guy, Rob Rogers and David Avila.

During a brief speech before the vote, Saunders told the Council she is a "no-nonsense girl who will try to keep meetings under an hour."

She cited her experience as senior class vice president at Brooklyn Technical High School and her work as president of other school organizations as qualifications for the presidency.

"I really enjoyed Student Council, and I work really well with people," she said.

Saunders said her first priority will be to "make the Homecoming bonfire safe by having the freshman take a pledge to be alcohol free."

According to Andrea Darling '94, the Freshman Office Intern who advises the Council, Saunders's main responsibilities as president will be to run Council meetings and serve as a liaison between the '97 class and Dean of Freshman Peter Goldsmith .