Tillman appointed interim freshmen dean

Assistant Freshmen Dean Tony Tillman will take over as acting dean until a search committee finds Diana Beaudoin's successor.

Dean of Students Lee Pelton, who chairs the search committee composed of faculty, administrators and students, said he expects to appoint a new freshmen dean in the next couple of weeks.

Out of an application pool of 250, six candidates were selected for interviews, Pelton said. The committee is currently conducting interviews on campus, he added.

In the meantime, Tillman said the Freshmen Office is very busy preparing for the Class of 1997. "It's business as usual," he said.

"We're primarily preparing for the '97s registration procedure and orientation right now," Tillman said. "We want to take as many glitches out as possible."

The Freshmen Office is in the process of getting the 'Shmen Guide out, lining faculty up for freshmen academic advising, meeting the special needs of students with particular health concerns, organizing seminars and dealing with policy issues such as permits for parking, Tillman said.

"The office is in good hands," Pelton said. "The Office has done a good job preparing for Diana Beaudoin's departure."