Alumnae paved way for current students

Those of you who are just returning to campus missed the influx of alums to the Hanover plain for reunions. The first week was filled with Dartmouth men in plaid pants, making their usual trek to celebrate their Alma Mater. But as the week went on, the more recent classes began to arrive.

I thought that this would be a great chance to meet the female alumnae who paved the way for me. But as I walked through the tents, I realized that most of the women present were wives of the male alums, not the female alumnae I sought.

I found it odd that in the 20th year of coeducation at the College, more women did not return in celebration.

Most women did not appear because this is not a place that holds the happy memories to which I heard the men referring. For these women, the harsh reality of the early stages of coeducation dominated their memories.

They told me of memories of being afraid to leave their rooms simply to walk down the hall to a female bathroom, inhabited by angry men. They also talked of not being able to cross the Green without having their books knocked from their hands and in many cases being knocked to the ground themselves.

There was even mention of harassing phone calls at all hours of the night, and the harassing banners flying from Russell Sage dormitory. Is it any wonder that they left Dartmouth with no desire to return?

As a woman of Dartmouth, I have no idea what this must have been like. The hardest part about getting to Dartmouth for me was just that, getting in. I did not have worries about whether I would be harassed simply because of my sex.

I could just move into my room without the worry of being physically stopped by angry students. When my phone rang, I could eagerly answer it knowing it would be one of my new friends and not a threat or obscene call.

I reflected on this difference during the week of reunions, knowing that I will want to come back to Dartmouth, and will leave with many fond memories of my years here.

Furthermore, I realize that I owe a huge debt to these women who made my experience possible. They never gave up and transferred. Instead, they held their ground, knowing that their actions would benefit others, like myself, in the future.

The idea of standing up for what you believe in is what I believe the Dartmouth Spirit is all about. These women are a part of the Legacy. Now, it is our turn to help them.

We should welcome these alumnae back and help them to discover the Dartmouth that they helped form. Then, they will be able to return and find a Dartmouth in which they can take pride.