Secrets, Hopes and Fears

Kathleen Rao, The Dartmouth Staff
Kathleen Rao, The Dartmouth Staff

Tell The Mirror a secret:

Sometimes I miss people who have been jerks to me, even though I know I should forget about them.

I have the hugest crush on a friend. He has no idea... or maybe he does.

My high school boyfriend threatened to commit suicide while we were dating. Sometimes I still have nightmares about it.

My girlfriend and I had sex in the stacks, and we were so loud that a janitor called S&S on us. We escaped before they got us, though.

I sometimes feel like I don’t belong at Dartmouth.

I’m falling for my boyfriend’s little.

I’ve never had any form of sex — oral, penetrative, nothing. But I really like talking about sex. I’m comfortable with it conversationally, but in action... that’s another story. Many people assume I’m not a virgin because I’m “shapely.”

My trip leader taught me how to deep throat. I’ve never been in a relationship and don’t know how to even start.

I cried everyday when I was off last winter.

I want to get married more than anything.

I can’t stand to be around my best friend anymore.

I’m working on my debut solo tape, expected release date will be early summer.

I’m pretty sure I’ve discovered I’m gender unbiased since coming to college.

When I was 13, I drowned my sister’s cat in a bucket. I didn’t hate the cat or anything — I was just wanted see what would happen. No one ever found out.

I’m really excited to graduate, not because I dislike Dartmouth, but because I’m ready for some new people and my own dish set.

One of my friends does nothing but complain about her life, not realizing how fortunate she is. All the ranting is getting to be very annoying, and I try to avoid most of her calls and messages.

I killed the class hamster by feeding it too many sunflower seeds.

I really like having a few days a week when I don’t have dinner plans. It’s not very social, but I love not having to talk to people sometimes!

I’m secretly angry at my sister for being bulimic, not for what she has done to herself, but because I want to purge every day but can’t talk to my family because of the pain she has caused them.

I had a threesome with my best friend and my ex.

I’m a senior, and I’m still a virgin and I’ve never been kissed.

Sometimes I change where I’m studying with the hopes of seeing my crush.

I’m crushing hard on a teammate right now.

I don’t know how to love myself, which makes it hard for me to express respect and love for others. It’s ruining my friendships.

I don’t feel comfortable in my fraternity.

People think I’m honest to a fault, but I’m actually a pathological liar. I never lie about serious things, but I’ll lie about the origin of a story to make it more exciting. Never been caught.

I had sex in the stacks today.

Every day I wish I could step out of my skin and be anyone but myself.

I’m crazy into my roommate who doesn’t even know I’m gay ---— I sometimes sneak glimpses when she’s changing and always feel guilty afterwards.

All my friends hate their majors.

I’m hooking up with my UGA.

I got an abortion last summer.

I use my emotional issues to guilt people into caring about me. I’m insecure that I’ve never been in a legit relationship. I count myself as extremely successful in nearly every other facet of my life, but my romantic personal life has always been the one place where I just fail.

I don’t think I have any secrets, and sometimes I worry this means I’m repressing some really terrible, traumatic memories.

I hate my body.

I tried to kill myself freshman year, but all my friends just thought I was just blacked out as usual.

I’ve had a crush on my best friend since the day we met six years ago.

I’ve made out with a professor (economics!).

I’ve never kissed someone sober.

I haven’t worn deodorant the past four days because I’m too lazy to go to CVS.

Tell The Mirror a fear:

That I won’t amount to anything in college.

I fear I will never find a real job.

I’m afraid that I’m not going to live up to people’s expectations and “fail” myself and my Dartmouth degree.

Sometimes I’m afraid no one is listening to me.

I’m a senior and I’m afraid I’m never going to get a job.

Papercuts.

That people in my sorority don’t care about the lack of diversity present in the house currently. That people will ignore this issue.

I’m scared that I will never have my “great love,” or that I do and it all falls apart.

I’m afraid of having kids and having them be hotter than me.

I’m afraid of the people and friends I care about not feeling the same about me. I fear that I can’t do well at Dartmouth.

I’m afraid of being alone for the rest of my life.

That I’m not smart enough to be at Dartmouth, and I’ll always be playing catch up.

I fear nothing but God.

I’m afraid I’ll never know what I want to do with my life.

I am afraid that I will never really get rid of the darkness in my heart. More than that, I am afraid that one day my grip on it will loosen, and I’ll hurt someone in a way I can’t fix.

I’m terrified of toxic shock syndrome. Like, I’ll set alarms to change my tampon every 4 hours.

I fear I will not form close friends or relationships during college because I don’t know how to meet new people.

I fear missing out on new friendships by being shy.

I’m afraid that I’ll step on a used needle and die of blood poisoning. It’s bizarre and completely unfounded, but I think about it pretty much every day.

I’m afraid I will never find someone to love me.

I fear puke.

I’m afraid I’ll always feel like I’m comprising in relationships.

I’m afraid of losing touch with my friends.

That I will get kicked out of Dartmouth.

Premed.

I won’t make enough money after graduation... but I’ll still be over $60,000 in debt from student loans.

I’m afraid that I’m dating the wrong person.

BEES.

My family will fall apart because my dad is abusive and my brother is therefore cutting off ties with us.

The Greek system.

That all of my friends secretly find me annoying. :/

I’m afraid no one really loves me except my mother. I’ve never faced real failure. I don’t know how I’ll react when I really crash and burn, and I’m scared I won’t be able to bounce back.

I’m afraid of the afterlife and eternity in general. I tell my hookup that I like him and he rejects me.

I’m afraid that the four years I spent in Hanover will have been a waste.

Spiders. Or someone finding out I’m gay.

I’ll fail Math 3.

No one will want me.

That childhood was the best part of life and things will get progressively more bland and melancholy.

Tell The Mirror a hope:

That I will one day be rich and famous.

I hope that I’ll meet someone who can appreciate my weird personality.

I hope that I have positively impacted this campus by being a part of it for four years.

I hope I can show freshmen women that going out to frats isn’t the only way to have fun on weekends or to be accepted by upperclassmen.

I hope that the Greek System is abolished. Soon.

That a guy who’s told me that he loves me will commit without fear of distance and being apart. That he’ll try to make it work without giving up.

I hope women’s recruitment changes one day to be less superficial and dehumanizing.

I hope I’ll soon find a beautiful mystery. Life feels too obvious and structured right now. I want to wonder at something.

I hope we’ll discover another planet with human life forms soon.

I’m optimistic that the stress I feel about school and socializing will at some point pass. That finding a friend to eat a meal with won’t be the most stressful part of my day.

I hope to spend my life with my boyfriend.

I hope to be a presidential speechwriter. That I can find something that I am good at and passionate about.

I hope that there will be social change thanks to revolutions through media, music, and demonstrations.

I hope I fall in love here.

I hope that, when I die, I have created more than I have destroyed.

I hope my best friend falls for me like I did for her -— I’ll be there to catch her!

I hope to be a young adult fiction author, inspiring preteens and teens the same way many other writers did for me. I hope that I will always be strong on the inside.

I hope that my SO and I stay in love forever and have a bunch of kids.

I hope that I can be proud of myself.

I hope that true love exists and that I will be lucky enough to find it.

I hope that the guy I have had a crush on all year will realize that I want to be more than friends with him.

That I can find something that I am good at and passionate about.

I hope I find a job where my boss is a woman.

I hope I’m wrong.

I hope I mean something to him. I hope I make him as happy as he makes me.

To keep being surrounded by wonderful friends here at Dartmouth that support me no matter what.

I hope someday to identify what my true passion is and to apply my skills and talents unrestrictedly toward that passion.

One day, I will learn what it feels like to be happy.

That one day I can love myself and be loved.

I hope that the problem is Hanover, not me.

I’ll be famous.

Happiness.

That I find a really stimulating job.