Now Playing: Amour

Michael Haneke's "Amour," which features French actors Jean-Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva, follows the tender love story of an elderly Parisian couple as they are nearing the end of their lives. The film depicts the two struggling with the most basic human abilities, such as health upkeep and mobility. However, "Amour" also asks life's larger questions, such as what love and companionship mean when death is imminent. "Amour" ultimately explores these questions with the perspective that though each individual's journey is short, the strength of love is timeless. Laura Sim

Directed by: Michael HanekeWith: Trintignant, Riva, Isabella Huppert127 minutesRated PG-13

"Amour" is a love story that holds nothing back. Brutally and beautifully real, the film depicts perhaps the most intimate form of love: one that outlasts physical ailment, mental decay and even death. The movie is at times depressing to the point that it is difficult to watch, but it is worth seeing for the performance of Trintignant, who brings to the screen a heartbreaking and moving display of devotion. Caela Murphy

"Amour" is the answer to what would have happened if someone made a movie about the lives of the old people in "The Notebook" (2004). Through haunting visuals, heartbreaking performances and enough mise-en-scene to make any film snob giddy, it proves to be an infinitely better film as well. Make no mistake though, "Amour" is probably the saddest film you will see in your life. However, the experience itself is well worth the price of the Kleenex box. Varun Bhuchar

Haneke's "Amour" is a film that incites tears, perhaps screams and, if you were the ladies sitting next to me, a long discussion about life. However, such discussion is appropriate, as "Amour" displays simple truth: the unbearable notion that all of us, in time, will cease to exist. From the opening theater scene to the film's end, "Amour" is painstakingly voyeuristic; in almost never leaving the couple's apartment, Haneke gives us such a familiarity (though never overstated) with Georges and Anne that you may feel as if you have joined their family tree. Kate Sullivan

Also playing: "Safe Haven," "Quartet" and "Argo"