Summer Safety

While our small, bucolic campus witnesses less crime than the average college, safety issues do exist at Dartmouth. The Summer term is no exception.

At Dartmouth, many of us feel safe doing what would be considered foolish almost anywhere else. We leave our belongings unattended in the library, we walk home alone regardless of the time of day -- or night -- and we keep our dorms and houses unlocked. Perhaps naively, we expect no negative consequences.

Student attitudes are even more laid-back during the summer. For most of us, this is the last "kid summer" we can have all to ourselves. With this sense of finality comes a desire to enjoy the term to the fullest and a greater willingness to try something new, exciting and often also risky -- like jumping off the 65-foot cliff at the Copper Mines or skinny-dipping in the Connecticut.

The Devil-may-care attitude of the students combined with a somewhat diluted campus community raises additional safety concerns. Only about a quarter of Dartmouth students are enrolled for the term, and a high share of them live off campus. The presence of campers,Tuck Bridge Program students and other temporary visitors -- with whom we share dorms, dining venues and libraries -- makes it easier for suspect persons or activities to go unnoticed.

The problem is exacerbated by College safety policies particular to Summer terms. The fact that Greek houses cannot register parties means that drinking is more than usually hidden from view of Safety and Security officers. Dick's House is closed during summer weekends, and students may be less likely to use the Good Sam policy to help an inebriated friend.

Over the past three weeks, a number of disconcerting events have occurred around the campus, including incidents of sexual assault and indecent exposure. Although these events do not necessarily indicate a trend of rising crime, they do point out perils to which we may be exposed.

Though we should certainly take advantage of the season's blithe pleasures, we should also make safety a priority this summer. This should involve a greater awareness of safety issues and of the potential consequences of our behavior.