Abramoff's Employers Should Also be Held Accountable

To the Editor:

From 1994 until 2000, Jack Abramoff was employed by the Seattle law firm of Preston Gates Ellis. As part of his work for that firm, Mr. Abramoff arranged for a senior congressional aide to travel to the Northern Marianas to support his efforts to "obtain and maintain" the firm's clientele.

The current chair of Preston Gates Ellis is Bill Neukom, chair of the Board of Trustees at Dartmouth. While Mr. Abramoff's tenure at Preston Gates Ellis did not overlap with Mr. Neukom's time there, I think it would behoove Mr. Neukom and the leadership of the firm to do a thorough internal investigation of Mr. Abramoff's work there. The firm has denied knowledge of any misdeeds, but has also been unable to produce any substantial records related to Mr. Abramoff.

I certainly do not hold Bill Neukom accountable for any illegal activity that occurred before he rejoined Preston Gates Ellis in 2002. However, as the chair of the firm, and as a well-respected public figure, I feel Mr. Neukom's proactive and honest evaluation of this situation is in the best interest of the public.

Individual politicians have come forward and have contributed donations given by Mr. Abramoff to charity. Should we not hold his former employers to a similar standard? I would like to see clear records of the business Mr. Abramoff brought to Preston Gates Ellis, and an honest appraisal of how that business was generated. No doubt there will be some legal requirement for disclosure and an external investigation. Given the extent and high profile of Mr. Abramoff's corruption, however, I feel that Mr. Neukom and Preston Gates Ellis owe the public some explanation of how they plan to proceed internally. It is only right that there should be some effort on the part of the firm to make explanation or amends for the illegal activities that occurred in their name.