Turia Lahlou
The Setonian
Mirror

Great expectations?

Dartmouth is a bizarre place to spend your formative years. Four years in Hanover ensure access to a world of affluence and privilege for the rest of your life.

Abaris
Mirror

Societies on tap

Yoon Ji Kim / The Dartmouth Staff For at least two weeks of the year, Dartmouth's campus looks more like an insane asylum than a revered academic institution.

Acting Dean of the College Sylvia Spears took over the position in the wake of former Dean Tom Crady's abrupt departure in August.
News

Spears works to finish AMP review

ELISABETH ERICSON / The Dartmouth Staff Now just three weeks into her term as acting Dean of the College following the abrupt resignation of former Dean Tom Crady, Sylvia Spears is tasked with overseeing two of Parkhurst's most controversial endeavors the formulation of an Alcohol Management Policy and the restructuring of the First-Year and Upperclass Dean's Offices while also managing orientation for the Class of 2013 and special events in conjunction with College President Jim Yong Kim's upcoming inauguration. While AMP a new set of guidelines on alcohol use at social events was originally proposed in spring 2008, the procedures have yet to be implemented, following several rounds of feedback from student organizations. Spears, in an interview with The Dartmouth on Monday, said there is still no definitive date set for an announcement regarding AMP, but added that "we will need some conclusion by Fall term about how we will operate." "[We will] talk about where the discussion about the management of alcohol on campus began, what has happened in the past couple years, and I will brief [Kim] about the differences between [the Social Event Management Procedures] and the recommendations from the task force," she said. Kim, in a Monday interview with The Dartmouth, said that he wants to put a policy in place that "makes sense for everybody." "I think we all share exactly the same perspective and values about the alcohol policy," he said.

The Setonian
News

Computing to maintain services despite staff cuts

Although 9 percent of its staff was lost this Spring in response to budget cuts, Computing Services will continue to focus on student and faculty support, according to Ellen Waite-Franzen, vice president of information technology and chief information officer at the College.

The group rushed to leave campus after classes on Friday, and were rewarded with a few hours on the river in the afternoon sun.
News

Schulberg '36, writing legend, dies

Zach Kuster / The Dartmouth Staff Budd Schulberg '36, the Academy Award-winning writer of "On the Waterfront" and former editor-in-chief of The Dartmouth, died in New York Wednesday afternoon at the age of 95. Schulberg's wife, Betsy, told The New York Times her husband was home in Westhampton Beach, N.Y.

The Setonian
News

Town approves plans for Visual Arts Center

Correction appended The Hanover Planning Board approved the College's proposed design for the Visual Arts Center by a 6-1 vote on Tuesday, following previous debate over the building's design and its effect on the downtown area.

The Setonian
News

Hanover board approves Arts Center design

The Hanover Planning Board approved the College's design for the proposed Visual Arts Center on Tuesday evening, following past dispute among board and community members about the design's effect on the Hanover downtown area.

The Setonian
Sports

New assistant coaches join tennis, basketball and track teams

Big Green athletic teams have seen coaching changes over the summer offseason. Track and field, women's tennis and men's basketball teams all made coaching additions in anticipation of the upcoming season. William Thomas is one of two assistant coach additions to Dartmouth's track and field team.

More articles »