Spears works to finish AMP review

Acting Dean of the College Sylvia Spears took over the position in the wake of former Dean Tom Crady's abrupt departure in August.

Now just three weeks into her term as acting Dean of the College following the abrupt resignation of former Dean Tom Crady, Sylvia Spears is tasked with overseeing two of Parkhurst's most controversial endeavors the formulation of an Alcohol Management Policy and the restructuring of the First-Year and Upperclass Dean's Offices while also managing orientation for the Class of 2013 and special events in conjunction with College President Jim Yong Kim's upcoming inauguration.

While AMP a new set of guidelines on alcohol use at social events was originally proposed in spring 2008, the procedures have yet to be implemented, following several rounds of feedback from student organizations.

Spears, in an interview with The Dartmouth on Monday, said there is still no definitive date set for an announcement regarding AMP, but added that "we will need some conclusion by Fall term about how we will operate."

"[We will] talk about where the discussion about the management of alcohol on campus began, what has happened in the past couple years, and I will brief [Kim] about the differences between [the Social Event Management Procedures] and the recommendations from the task force," she said.

Kim, in a Monday interview with The Dartmouth, said that he wants to put a policy in place that "makes sense for everybody."

"I think we all share exactly the same perspective and values about the alcohol policy," he said. "I'm just trying to get up to speed so that I know enough about it to communicate effectively."

Spears said she does not want to prolong the campus discussion about alcohol management, but wants to be "mindful of where students are about any policy changes."

"For me, the biggest concern, regardless of procedures, is based on ensuring students are safe and healthy, and that these are practices of reduction of harm to students," she said.

Student Body President Frances Vernon '10, who met with Spears last week, said she has not seen the most recent version of AMP though she requested a copy and is giving Kim and Spears an opportunity to read over the history of alcohol management at Dartmouth before pressing them for action.

"It's important for [the Assembly] to always have a positive relationship with the administration, but that doesn't mean we aren't advocates, pushing the administration to make sure they are doing their job and living up to their job, which includes alcohol management because it touches so many students," Vernon said.

Vernon added that much of student frustration regarding AMP stems from its extended timeline and confusion about its status. Vernon said she will begin to push for progress on AMP once the school year begins.

Spears, in an interview with The Dartmouth, said her priority is to "speak one-on-one with students." Spears said that, because her appointment came at the end of the Summer term, she has not yet had an opportunity to meet formally with students. She said she intends to sit down with student representatives from Student Assembly, Greek organizations, Palaeopitus Senior Society and "other community organizations on campus" at the beginning of Fall term. Spears said she will also hold weekly office hours.

In response to some students' concerns that she lacks experience interacting with the Greek system, Spears noted that she is an adviser to Alpha Pi Omega sorority.

Spears said she does not foresee any difficulties working with the Greek community, and "hope[s] to open good lines of communication between the Dean of the College's Office and Greek letter organizations."

"In so many ways we share the same values about community and service and commitment to one another as members of the Dartmouth community those are core personal values of mine," she said.

Spears was recognized twice at last year's Order of Omega awards, which honor the achievement of Greek organizations and their members.

To ease the transition between deans, Kate Burke, Crady's special assistant, is "doing some information sharing" and compiling reports about the projects she was working on with Crady, Spears said.

"[Burke] is here in a transitional mode to ensure we don't miss anything or drop any balls as we move forward," Spears said.

Spears' appointment comes in the wake of significant restructuring in the First-Year Office and the Upperclass Dean's Office, which were merged last month.

Spears said the merger will allow for greater continuity in the delivery of services, although the decision was made because of budget constraints.

"Students will be met with a dean who will work with them from matriculation to graduation," Spears said. "[The deans] are ready for students to come back, and have spent time this summer settling in and preparing for the Class of 2013 and returning students."

On Monday, Dean of Undergraduate Students Rovana Popoff announced that she will leave the College and return to the University of Chicago, where she will finish a dissertation in political science and serve as a deputy dean for academic affairs.

Spears said it is "too early" to decide if she would like to be considered for the permanent Dean of the College position when the search process begins.

"Right now, I'm focused on doing work to ensure students have an incredible learning experience while they are here," Spears said. "At this point into the next year, I'll have a better understanding of the position and whether I'd like to be considered for the dean position or not. Right now it's all about the work."

Spears previously served as the director of the Office of Pluralism and Leadership and acting senior associate Dean of the College.

Crady, who left the College after 20 months as Dean of the College, did not specifically enumerate the reasons behind his resignation, but said his departure was "difficult" and the result of a "family decision," according to an e-mail Crady sent to Dean of the College's Office staff, which was provided to The Dartmouth by College spokesman Roland Adams.

In Monday's interview, Spears said she did not have any more information regarding Crady's departure.

Staff writer Mitch Davis contributed to the reporting of this article.