Ann Baum
The Setonian
News

Daily Debriefing

Economics professor Douglas Irwin was selected as the lecturer for the 23rd annual Ohlin Lectures, a two-day lecture series at the Stockholm School of Economics in Stockholm, Sweden, according to a College press release.

The Setonian
Mirror

Two Years' Resolution

We're halfway there, or so The Mirror and Bon Jovi tell us. But halfway where? Halfway finished with "the best four years of our lives" is a pretty depressing thought but these four years have been damn good ones. In order to take advantage of our time left at Dartmouth, here is my list of resolutions for the next few years. Meet new people.

COURTESY OF THE LEAGUE OF N.H. CRAFTSMEN
News

Students and inmates produce play

Courtesy of Patricia Lee Courtesy of Patricia Lee Every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon, seven of the 14 students enrolled in College Course 12 venture down Interstate 91 to the Sullivan County House of Corrections in Unity, N.H., where they collaborate with female inmates to produce a play that will be performed at the end of the term.

The Setonian
News

SEIU approves new contract with College

Members of the Service Employees International Union Local 560 approved a two-year contract on Friday that "protects existing bargaining union members from layoffs during the term of the contract," according to Kevin O'Leary, associate general counsel for the College, who helped lead negotiations between the College and the union.

The Setonian
News

College lifts salary freeze

Non-unionized employees who meet or exceed expectations at the College will receive a 1 percent increase to their base salaries for the 2011 fiscal year, Provost Carol Folt and Senior Vice President Steven Kadish announced in an e-mail to the Dartmouth community on Friday.

The Setonian
News

Thirty students prepare to hike the 50 on Friday

Students are stocking up on gorp, flair and moleskin in preparation for the 50 this weekend, in which a group of 32 hikers will embark on a 53.6-mile hike from Hanover to the Mount Moosilauke Ravine Lodge. Hikers interviewed by The Dartmouth said they are most looking forward to the opportunity to bond with their groups while on the trail, though some worry about the physical toll of such a long hike. "I'm really excited about being able to bond with people more than I normally get to do in day-to-day interactions," Ben Waller '12, who plans to hike the 50 this weeked, said. Emily Niehaus '12, a fellow student-hiker, said that the hike is a great opportunity to spend quality-time with close friends. "I think I'm most excited about doing [the 50 because of] the three girls that I'm hiking it with, to share the experience with them and go through it together," Niehaus said. Niehaus said she has been resting and eating healthily in preparation for this weekend. "I think it's going to be one of the hardest things I've ever done," she said. The 50 is extremely physically demanding on hikers, according to Heather Reiley '12, who has volunteered at support stations twice before and will also hike the 50 this weekend. "I've seen how beat up people's feet are," she said.

The Setonian
Mirror

Editor's Note

/ The Dartmouth Staff / The Dartmouth Staff Wake up in the morning feeling like... A train wreck.

The Setonian
News

Daily Debriefing

The College has decided to sell the Minary Conference Center, a waterfront property on Squam Lake in Holderness, N.H., according to Paul Olsen, Dartmouth's director of real estate.

The Setonian
News

Mastanduno appointed Dean of Faculty

Government Professor Michael Mastanduno has been appointed Dean of the Faculty, according to an e-mail sent by College President Jim Yong Kim Thursday afternoon. Mastanduno, who has worked as the associate dean of the faculty since 2003, will begin his five-year term on August 1, according to the e-mail.

More articles »