Daily Debriefing

Economics professor Douglas Irwin was selected as the lecturer for the 23rd annual Ohlin Lectures, a two-day lecture series at the Stockholm School of Economics in Stockholm, Sweden, according to a College press release. The Ohlin Lectures, which will take place in September, are compiled into a book that is published annually by The MIT Press. Irwin's lectures "Trade Policy Disaster: Lessons from the 1930s" will focus on the spread of Depression-era protectionist trade policies, specifically examining countries' decisions to leave the gold standard, according to the release. "One lesson for today is that, because most countries have independent monetary policies and flexible exchange rates, they don't need to resort to import barriers in response to an economic crisis," Irwin said in the release. The lectures are sponsored and funded by the Kjell and Mrta Beijer Foundation, according to the Stockholm School's website.

Dartmouth Medical School professor Harold Swartz and other College researchers will receive part of a grant from the National Institutes of Health that will fund research on the effects of radiation from a radiological or nuclear terrorist attack, according to an NIH press release. The grant, which is expected to total $105 million, was awarded by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, a division of NIH, and will be split among seven academic institutions, including Columbia University and Duke University. Dartmouth's portion of the grant will fund research on "radiation-induced physical and chemical changes in teeth, hair and fingernails," and might be useful in developing a faster, non-invasive method for the diagnosis of radiation injury, according to the release.

Dinesh D'Souza '83 was elected to serve as the new president of King's College in New York City, according to a press release from King's College. D'Souza, author and former White House policy analyst, has written a number of books on politics and Christianity in America. "Our goal at The King's College is to prepare intellectually-gifted students to transform society by preparing them for careers in which they help to shape and eventually lead strategic public and private institutions," D'Souza said in the release. D'Souza was named one of America's most influential conservative thinkers by The New York Times Magazine, and graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the College.